🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this normal?

Started by
7 comments, last by haanuman 5 years, 12 months ago

Is it normal that I want to switch in and out of game developement? Let me explain. Sometimes, I'm like "Nah, too much work", and other times, I'll be like "You know what? I WILL make a game"

Advertisement

That's pretty common yes, if you search or browse popular game development communities you'll find lots of questions on how to stay motivated to actually finish a game.

These people are all experiencing the downsides of having "too much work" phases where they don't want to work on their games, or don't want to do the tedious parts.

- Jason Astle-Adams

6 hours ago, Timothy Sharp said:

Is it normal that I want to switch in and out of game developement?

Yes. Perfectly normal. Stop being such a worry wart about what's "normal" and just life your life the way you want to.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It's normal and refreshing. When you return you find that problems that looked like dead ends is easy to work around, things you where fussing over is suddenly very simple or even stupid.

Start with then simple things and fix the big problems automaticly.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

"Start small" - This is not just some pride quote. If you start making your FIRST game and put it in some big game frames and/or vision, in most cases you will fail.

When you starting small, you have much less chance to encounter "too much work". And you will be more happy if you finish your game even it won't be on steam or app stores. After you gain some experience, later you can state bigger goals and handle them more easily. 

Trust me, it's the way to do :)

Best of luck ! 

User interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.
On 6/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, Eimantas Gabrielius said:

"Start small" - This is not just some pride quote. If you start making your FIRST game and put it in some big game frames and/or vision, in most cases you will fail.

When you starting small, you have much less chance to encounter "too much work". And you will be more happy if you finish your game even it won't be on steam or app stores. After you gain some experience, later you can state bigger goals and handle them more easily. 

Best of luck ! 

Thank you for the tip!

On 6/12/2018 at 11:37 PM, Eimantas Gabrielius said:

Best of luck ! 

Upvote to you Sir! This was very inspiring, not really into development but it can motivate anyone in their respective field :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement