🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Insomnia keeps me company

Started by
5 comments, last by ChaosEngine 6 years ago

The problem is, when I go to sleep earlier I don’t get that full eight or nine hours; I usually wake up at 5 or 6 AM so I’m still getting the same amount of sleep I would if I was closing my eyes at 1 or 2 AM.I am aware that sleeping regimens need time to kick in with the cycle, but it’s been months now and I have no reprieve. Should I see a doctor? Take medication? Should i try taking medicinal cannabis ??
Sucks, man. By like 3 or 4 PM I start dozing off again, and I come home and I just want to take a nap. Lack of energy, which impacts my gym regimen and general welfare. I don’t want to do chores, or work, or even play video games in my down time because staring at the screen tires me out.

Advertisement

They say 8-9 hours sleep, but I honestly don't believe in that. I'm 38 and I get a solid 6 hours every night.

The problem is that if your body isnt ready for sleep then its not going to happen.  I'm in bed between midnight and 7:30 am, when my alarm goes off(hidden from sight in a draw so I only hear it going off and not ticking).  And thats it - tough luck to my body if it doesn't want to cooperate!  6-7 hours a night might not be optimum, but I'm no longer catching up on sleep.

I was suffering bad with insomnia( little to no sleep most days ), but as soon as I read an article by Steve Pavlina regarding the subject I got it under control.  its now rare I have trouble sleeping.  Going further, I don't eat between 11pm and Midnight - only gently sipping water.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Get the CBT-i Coach app, keep up your diary for a bit, and by looking at your own data and possibly by suggestion from the app you can decide to see a doctor.

The most obvious thing in the world is to not nap.  That sleep is meant to be burned off later, and you aren't going to get to sleep if there is nothing to burn.

Also, is there a reason for the regimen?  It sounds as if you are getting the amount of sleep you require but you simply calculated that you need more (when you don't).  If you were awake longer before sunset, it is perfectly normal for the sunset to trigger your sleepy (at 3 or 4 PM) much more heavily.

The only suspicious point in your story is why you suddenly think you need more sleep than you actually need.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

If you're genuinely suffering from insomnia, then yes, you should absolutely seek medical advice.

- Jason Astle-Adams

On 5/31/2018 at 3:34 PM, Pantheras said:

The problem is, when I go to sleep earlier I don’t get that full eight or nine hours; I usually wake up at 5 or 6 AM so I’m still getting the same amount of sleep I would if I was closing my eyes at 1 or 2 AM.I am aware that sleeping regimens need time to kick in with the cycle, but it’s been months now and I have no reprieve. Should I see a doctor? Take medication? Should i try taking medicinal cannabis ??
Sucks, man. By like 3 or 4 PM I start dozing off again, and I come home and I just want to take a nap. Lack of energy, which impacts my gym regimen and general welfare. I don’t want to do chores, or work, or even play video games in my down time because staring at the screen tires me out.

I face the same issue, sometimes I workout early morning that by afternoon I would start getting tired because of work and all but it doesn't work. Instead sleeping at 9PM I wake till 3AM and then start dozing off by 4PM. I hate this.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, jbadams said:

If you're genuinely suffering from insomnia, then yes, you should absolutely seek medical advice.

This.

You wouldn't ask a doctor about game development, don't ask this forum for medical advice.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement