🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Who's your intellectual idol?

Started by
24 comments, last by Awoken 5 years, 11 months ago
  • Jordan Peterson : I mean, there will always be better or more intelligent people, but to me, the fact that he tries his absolute best to speak the truth and facts in an understandable way fascinates me. One thing I hate the most in this world is extremism and this guy handles very well SJW extremists (for example) in a respectful and logical way. Example
  • More related to game development, I'd say Will Wright. His ideas have jostled the way we design video games.

Hide yo cheese! Hide yo wife!

Advertisement
2 hours ago, thecheeselover said:

One thing I hate the most in this world is extremism and this guy handles very well SJW extremists (for example) in a respectful and logical way. Example

No, he's an idiot tilting at windmills. 

He's a pop-culture intellectual for the kind of people who think youtube is the highest level of discourse. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
43 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

No, he's an idiot tilting at windmills. 

He's a pop-culture intellectual for the kind of people who think youtube is the highest level of discourse. 

Then could tell who your modern intellectual idol is?

I see that you have criticized a previous reply that said Jordan Peterson had a lot of interesting things to say. Also, I know there are some thing he says that don't make sense but I won't discard someone and consider him a bigot because a few things he says are, let's say, not correct. I take what I agree with (after thinking about it naturally) and leave the rest.

Having a hard time speaking English, I will just say that in Canada we have a lot of problems with left extremists particularly and the fact that he tries to point that out is a good thing, in my opinion.

Hide yo cheese! Hide yo wife!

1 hour ago, thecheeselover said:

Then could tell who your modern intellectual idol is?

I don't believe in idols. There are a few people I admire in their specific fields, but I don't slavishly worship any of them. 

For an example, I think Feynman was an amazing physicist... but he had some pretty weird ideas about how to treat women. 

I think Werner Von Braun was an amazing rocket scientist... but also a creationist (and maybe a Nazi? that one is complicated).

The difference is that Peterson is an idiot in his field. It's not like he's doing some great research and he happens to say some stupid shit. He's only known for the stupid shit he says. 

To be clear, I don't think he's "dangerous" and I 100% support his right to say the dumb things he says. I also vehemently disagree with those who want to censor him. I just don't think he has anything particularly interesting to say.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
18 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

To be clear, I don't think he's "dangerous" and I 100% support his right to say the dumb things he says. I also vehemently disagree with those who want to censor him. I just don't think he has anything particularly interesting to say.

Agreed!  He still has his tenureship and I also think that that is important too.  The very fact the guy has a problem with Canadian policy means he deserves to be heard regardless of whether or not he's right. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement