Advertisement

Mandrake 8.1

Started by December 03, 2001 04:52 PM
16 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 9 months ago
It looks like Mandrake screwed up the automatic setup of X. The "nonfb" option probably allows you to boot into the console. From there log into root. Go to the /usr/X11/bin (it may be /usr/X11R6/bin) directory, and type "ls *conf* *cfg* *setup*". Try one of the setup programs that looks like it''s meant for X. You''ll need your monitor''s horizontal and vertical refresh rates for xf86config and some other setup programs, so make sure to write that down before hand.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Grellin posted while I was typing, you should probably try his solution first since it is more aimed specifically at Mandrake and will mess with less stuff.

Advertisement
HECK YEAH!

Linux is my new favorite OS! Still getting used to it, and KDE kinda looks like MacOS 9, but it's still cool. I've used Windows so much that I find myself looking for the equivalent of "My Computer." Blender is on there along with GIMP and StarOffice, so I've got my art programs and my dad will have his office stuff as soon as I set it up. I might even talk about taking off Windows altogether.

Now, I have the driver CD for my printer and I want to install it so I can print stuff straight from Linux. How do I access my CDROM drive from KDE? Control Center does not have anything like that, or so I see.

Also, in the installer I wanted to install a programming development package for C++ and everything, but I can't find anything on C++ under Linux. I found something for Python, but not C/C++.

I want to keep this thread open in case I ever have any problems, save GDNET some space. Thanx.

Edited by - Some Guy on December 9, 2001 6:02:31 PM
quote: Original post by Some Guy
Now, I have the driver CD for my printer and I want to install it so I can print stuff straight from Linux. How do I access my CDROM drive from KDE? Control Center does not have anything like that, or so I see.

You probably have to mount the CD first (unless you are using an auto-mounter), and the easiest way to do that is from the command prompt. You just have to type something like "mount -t cd9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom". You should then be able to browse the contents of the CD from your file manager in KDE.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote: Original post by Some Guy
Also, in the installer I wanted to install a programming development package for C++ and everything, but I can''t find anything on C++ under Linux. I found something for Python, but not C/C++.

There should be a package for KDevelop (I''m not sure if Mandrake has it or not, but take a look anyway). If not, GCC has always been good enough for me (I''m completely sure it is included in Mandrake, although you have to check some setting for it to be installed).

quote: KDE kinda looks like MacOS 9

Dude, try Enlightenment. It kicks!

rm -rf /bin/laden
Advertisement
Mandrake 8.1 does have the KDevelope. If you use MSVC++ 6 you will feel right at home.

Grellin - IGP
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
---MAJOR EDIT---
One thing is kinda bothering me about Mandrake. Sometimes, when I shut it off or reboot it, it suddenly freezes. It usually does that when it says it's disconnecting from the Internet if necessary.

The hard disk indicator light on the front of my tower stops blinking, the mouse cursor doesn't move, and I assume the keyboard wouldn't work either.

It doesn't always do this, but most of the time it does, and I'd like to know how I can stop it. I haven't set up my modem yet, so it could have something to do with that, I guess.
---MAJOR EDIT---

Edited by - Some Guy on December 10, 2001 5:37:13 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement