Advertisement

Comeau C++ Compiler

Started by December 03, 2001 03:17 PM
7 comments, last by syslogd 22 years, 9 months ago
Has anyone here used the Comeau C++ compiler under Linux? It seems affordable, and the cross-platform support they described on their site seemed useful. Now, I''d just like to have somebody who has actually used the compiler agree or disagree with their claims, and possibly give other useful information. How does the compile speed of Comeau C++ compare to that of the GCC C++ compiler? I understand Comeau C++ is only a C++-to-C translator (or preprocessor, however you''d like to put it), itself depending on a native C compiler to create the actual object code. How is the performance of the resulting executables? Does the compiler itself do any optimizations, or does it leave that up to the C compiler to do? Is there anything else to know about the compiler? Thank you for your time.
/usr/sbin/syslogd
The comeau compiler is very useful when working with heavily templates and adhering to standard compliance coding.

I don''t know how it compares to gcc 3 as I use the win32 version of comeau.

AFAIK, it doesn''t have any flags for optimization. The exe it creates a pretty large but I haven''t fiddle with the compiler flags enough yet.
Advertisement
VectorC for Linux is due out in April, with C++ support. I''m going to be collecting beta testers soon. And you ain''t it :oP

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Back to the topic of compilers, has anyone used the Intel C++ compiler on Caldera Linux Workstation 3.1 yet? Do binaries compiled with it have a noticeable speed improvement over GCC compiled binaries?

/usr/sbin/syslogd
Can I be a beta tester, Nurgle?

rm -rf /bin/laden
nope

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Advertisement
Damn, why not?

rm -rf /bin/laden
you don''t suck up enough

Enough??? Dude, I don''t suck up at all. Not to you anyway...

Anyway, at least you''re honest!

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement