🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Options for placeholder characters

Started by
2 comments, last by Bakkerbaard 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm browsing around for a piece of software that allows me to whip up some 2D placeholder characters so I might have some visual support for myself when I try to set up some sort of proof of concept. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's just that I want something to look at and it would be ridiculous to get an artist to waste their time on it.

I've gathered that a lot of people use Gimp, but from what I know of it it's basically opensource Photoshop, right? Which means I'll be doing "designs" from scratch. Which then means it's no good for me. I used to be an okay artist in school, but then I decided I was gonna be a rockstar and now I can't do either properly.

My criteria would be: something basic. Something simple enough your kid could use it. Preferably free, but if it turns out I could use it for more than placeholders I could part with a couple of bucks. Something 2D. Hopefully something that allows for a bit of customisation to make my placeholders distinguishable. 

I'm probably gonna do a mockup in Adventure Game Editor, which I don't know much about yet either, but I suppose if I can export crude frames of animation to PNG or something I could wrangle that into a usable sequence. 

Style-wise it doesn't have to be impressive. I'll do fine with a thing that let's me take the same human shape over and over and slap a moustache on one and a pretty bow on another. Anyway, I hope I managed to get my message across. Does anything like that exist?

Advertisement
5 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I've gathered that a lot of people use Gimp

Use it and draw stick men. Your artist will just need a simple understanding of what is happening to replace it later.

If your not happy with the stick men then try this: https://opengameart.org/ Even the AAA developers just uses stock art and any image they can find.

The good news is what your doing is a good way to develop games, so you are on a correct path. As a artist I wish more developers would work this way.

1 hour ago, Scouting Ninja said:

The good news is what your doing is a good way to develop games, so you are on a correct path. As a artist I wish more developers would work this way.

I'm actually just guessing my way through the whole process, but this is very reassuring.

I'm usually somewhere around the end of the chain in my day-job, muttering: "We've done this for five seasons, how are you getting this wrong still?" so I believe I understand your wish, but in truth this is all because I'm not gonna spend a dime till I know it can be done. ;o)

Anyway, thanks for the link. That'll help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement