🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Survey] What is the difference between a 'wannabe' and a professional GameDev?

Started by
4 comments, last by RnzCpp 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm curious guys, which of these things do you do as you develop games? And how good are you doing them?
I'm trying to figure out in the most precise way possible what is the difference between a 'wannabe' gamedev, and someone who can live from making games. What do you think?

(Some of the questions are a bit hard. Have fun!)

Advertisement

This was posted on the site about 15 years ago, along with several other articles. Seems it was taken down along the way of various site updates. 

Some of the names have been changed, but the information is still accurate.

Very interesting Frob! In the end It's a mix between:

• A) Your experience.
  • B) Your team.
  • C) Proper business knowledge (analytic tools + market research + business development)

I think most people is really good in the point A.
About a 25% of them, are good on the pont B.
And almost no one is really good at C. Even many big companies fail on this.

There is also a large pool of game developers that develop games because they like doing it and aren't trying to live off of it.  Making it as a game developer that gets paid to develop games is like making it as a musician or an artist that lives off of making music or art.  Its a longshot that requires a lot of time, patience, skill, and even then right place and right time or knowing the right people.

The games that I enjoy and like making will never be commercial hits, and I would be miserable making games that I don't enjoy for the sake of turning a buck.  I work in software development and get paid to make business applications.  I see game dev as a hobby where I can make games I enjoy playing :)

For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/

Income 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement