🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Python and C++

Started by
4 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 7 months ago
There. I just found a game library. For Python. No, not for C/C++. It is in a scripting language. It is easy to write for and elegant. Look over it and you''ll love it. Just go in whith an open mind. To compare- C++: #include int main() { printf(''Hi'') return 0 } Python: (equivalent code) print ''Hi'' ------------------- See what I mean? It is easy and ultimately non-hard. The gaming library also looks very easy to learn. For the sites: python.org pygame.seul.org Go to these 2 and d/l python 2.1.1 and the same for pygame.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
Sure it looks elegant, but I would think it would lose out on performance cos python still is just an interpretor right ?

Game libraries probably are available for almost any language I suppose.

Just for the record I think Python has Opengl modules too.
Hello from my world
I have seen numbers that place Python about 3 times slower than interpreted Java. This makes it way too slow for any performance intensive application/game.
However, it is a very nice language.

Psalm 137:9: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Actually, It can run faster with a little tweaking by the hacker/support (I thought I''d never see those 2 together) it has run pretty fast. Yes, it is slow, but hey, every new version twice as fast, and there are modules to make it run in ASM or Machine Code (I''ve seen that too) Go to pygame.org and see for yourself!

It''s also a blast to mess around with and pretty fun to play with. It''s PERL but without the messy coding and the Creator of Python is a friend of mine. Guido van Rossum.

(hes dutch)
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
quote: Original post by Andrew Nguyen
and there are modules to make it run in ASM or Machine Code

uh...

Psalm 137:9: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
As in to make an EXE and therefore faster than interprted...

It also has a thing that shows you what the code would look like in ASM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement