🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have been centrist/centre-left, Now I am going Right Wing

Started by
69 comments, last by warhound 7 years ago

I usually won't weigh into this, but this issue is deeper than your right wing ideology. And boiling it down to policies must become more right wing , and that one group bad, one group good is profoundly insulting to decades of western interference and agitation in the middle east. That we, as a set of western cultures are innocent is ignorant at best, I can point to many things that are only reinforcing this hate. From the destruction of the ottoman empire, the creation of the state of israel (By the US, USSR and UK I will add) only added fire. So maybe a bit of introspection of our own decades of crap policies might enlighten you.

Let's get this straight at the start. Terrorism is completely abhorent, it has not place in society. But locking the door on different cultures is a little bit late. Especially since that terrorism is now spawning from people born and raised in that society.

How about this for a fact, last year, in America, acts that could be considered terrorist in the continental united states were committed primarily by WHITE Christians.

This meanders a bit, but just trying to highlight it's not just a good/bad argument anymore. Plenty of blame to go around.

Very true, historically (even recent history - Iraq invasion, CIA fuelling interference in other counties' civil wars, US blind support for Israel) the west is far from being an innocent party here. But a line has to be drawn and the cycle has to be broken some where. Should Black America become terrorists to White America because of the injustices of slavery? Of course NOT

To break the cycle we have to draw a circle on recent events, root it out and deal with it with different ideas. So just saying the left polices are too soft, and allows terrorists to penetrate the west with ease and causing havoc. Thus not working in this respect

But locking the door on different cultures is a little bit late. Especially since that terrorism is now spawning from people born and raised in that society

Yeah home grown terrorist - hence the reason for 3, 4 and 6 in my post above

How about this for a fact, last year, in America, acts that could be considered terrorist in the continental united states were committed primarily by WHITE Christians.

Don't know about this though

@[member='Oberon_Command'], hence you are saying status quo is sufficient if I get you correctly?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement
It can be done. But current leaders don't have the willpower to do it.

Or possibly they're aware that they're not the only people holding nukes anymore. If we send an ICBM at ISIS there's a very high probability that we'll get hundreds of them coming right back at us from all directions.

And that's not even touching on the moral issues involved in annihilating the innocent people who are caught in the middle of it, let alone the practical issue of continuing to aggressively irradiate the only planet that we have to live on.

It's not as if we aren't bombing the piss out of them already. We've been doing that for many decades now, and it's not solving the problem.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

As most programmers understand, errors can pop up from many places. A seg fault due to a corrupt pointer can come from all over a program. Just because an error occurred at a particular function, doesn't mean that function itself is incorrect. You have to pop open the debugger, check the call stacks, trace inputs outputs, look for the real culprit. If every time an error occurred I just immediately deleted the code where the error occurred I'd get no where.

Let's modify this analogy to be closer to how terrorism (or just violent crimes in general) work and the constraints that preventative and diagnostic measures have:

- You've seen this type of library crash before but it's always been typical minor crashes or almost-crashes.
- You don't have the source code to the library, and disassembling or decompiling it is not only not feasible, but it is illegal and would get you sent to jail.
- Your company policy states that you're not allowed to remove this library if you don't have conclusive proof that it will crash severely.
- All libraries have the fundamental right to execute, even if they're detrimental to the overall functioning of your software.
- You must accept and integrate any and all libraries that want to be integrated in your program, even from developers you don't trust.
- Each library is *supposed* to obey a strict set of rules to avoid interfering with another, but nothing forces them to actually obey.
- Occasionally, one library is intentionally written to interfere with other libraries.
- The library then crashes severely in production and deletes its own library file from all of your systems and burns out your motherboard at the same time.
- There's nothing left to diagnose, so you don't know how to properly recognize and isolate this issue in the future.
- You could blacklist the company that made that library, but you use a few billion other libraries from them and they're all working fine.

How would you address bugs with those constraints and symptoms?

It can be done. But current leaders don't have the willpower to do it.

Or possibly they're aware that they're not the only people holding nukes anymore. If we send an ICBM at ISIS there's a very high probability that we'll get hundreds of them coming right back at us from all directions.

And that's not even touching on the moral issues involved in annihilating the innocent people who are caught in the middle of it, let alone the practical issue of continuing to aggressively irradiate the only planet that we have to live on.

It's not as if we aren't bombing the piss out of them already. We've been doing that for many decades now, and it's not solving the problem.

The point the guy was trying to make is not that we need to nuke them. The point was that the willpower and stomach to do what is necessary is no longer there.

Nukes are not neccessary. But stopping them at the border is one thing that would help. But we can't even do that because of PC, and fear of being called a racist and many other labels.

And some of the attacks are probably motivated by the western countries interference. But guess who everyone goes to for help when s**t goes down? Guess who everyone loves to take money and assistance from? Guess who everyone loves to lean on to provide defense for their country so they don't have to spend the money on it? When a dictator is on the loose and slaughters his own people, who do the rest of the world wishes would step in and put a stop to it?

I am ok if the western world would stop interfering in their countries. I am ok with them not liking us. Want to have Sharia law and kill all non-believers, fine, keep it in your own part of the world. Meanwhile, I would be happy if we would focus on helping and improving the lives of our own population.

Don't know about this though

Are you serious? What about all the abortion clinic attacks that have happened over the years? What about the Charleston attack? All the school shootings? And that's just in the US.

In Canada we had this guy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38805163

@Oberon_Command, hence you are saying status quo is sufficient if I get you correctly?

I'm not saying it's sufficient. Only that authoritarian measures are not going to help and that ostracizing some segments of society will only drive them closer to radicalism. You swing to authoritarianism because of ISIS, and you are dancing to the tune they're playing and not your own.

And as for the status quo, how many people die a year in terrorist acts vs. how many people a year in car crashes? I mean, last time I looked, more people die in car accidents per year than in airplane crashes, so I'm pretty sure which way that comparison would go...

Quote from a WWII veteran overhearing someone say that `You can't bomb an ideology."

The WWII analogy is crap IMO. The Japanese were an empire. They had an official navy, air force, and army. Their combatants were uniformed. They had a country to defend and the strength to invade other nations and subjugate them.

Last time I checked, ISIS and friends are not defending a country. They are not an empire. They're a bunch of dirty deluded dudes who shoot people and hide like cowards among innocent civilians, daring us to kill them all and sacrifice our principle that innocent people shouldn't suffer. Do people really think most of the people who live in ISIS territory actually support the militants? ISIS is really bad for the people who are living under their sway, of course, but here in the West, what power do they have? Even the latest attack was just some guys rolling a truck around and stabbing people. Basically a glorified, sensationalized car accident. That's... kind of unimpressive by WWII standards.

My respects to your veteran friend, but what applied in 1945 to Imperial Japan does not necessarily apply in 2017 to ISIS and friends. We don't need to repeat mid-20th century atrocities.

But stopping them at the border is one thing that would help. But we can't even do that because of PC, and fear of being called a racist and many other labels.

That's close to correct. We absolutely need to have clearly defined borders and efficient systems for keeping bad people out while letting good people in, and "It's too hard," is not anything like an acceptable objection to that. It's literally a matter of survival, and that's why Trump is in office despite everyone being fully aware that he's a complete muppet.

However, that also proves that "we" aren't that afraid of being labelled and shouted at. A small number of people in unfortunately high positions are afraid of that, and the rest of them are the ones labeling and destroying people. We have responded appropriately to that, although it's not really clear from what the pundits are screaming:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/04/23/trump-voters-dont-have-buyers-remorse-but-some-hillary-clinton-voters-do/

Society is rejecting the out-of-control PC nonsense and prioritizing physical safety. That's a good thing, but it's being represented - on both sides - by very bad actors, and honestly I think that we're overdue in taking responsibility for that.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

The best recruiting tool ISIS (or pretty much any extremist group, really) has is something that can make their cause seem enticing to poorly-informed, discontented people who are receptive to some kind of "cause." What's interesting is that ISIS, in particular, is actually perfectly aware that they're cartoonishly evil; they want to make people afraid of all Muslims, and they want to make people retaliate against all Muslims, and they'll go to any measures to do this. Why? Because then they can turn around to those poorly-informed, discontented Muslims, who otherwise wouldn't care about ISIS or "the West", and say "see, the West really is against all Muslims." This is particularly worrisome to me, because ISIS isn't interested in "taking over the west" in some kind of traditional sense (again, they're perfectly aware that they're cartoonishly evil), they want to start a catastrophic, global war, and the best way to do this is to spark animosity, fear, and anger on both sides. Even symbolic things like insisting on talking about "radical Islam" (rather than, say, "terrorists") help to paint the picture that Islam itself and/or all Muslims really are the enemy.

(...)

We, people of Western Civilization, are just too weak-willed and too "OMG I got to be PC" to do anything about it.

I'm always a bit perplexed when this gets framed as some kind of brave stand against "political correctness." I, for one, have no interest in censoring you. I just don't see anything brave about giving up freedom in return for some idea of "safety," especially when you're not even giving up your own freedom, but rather that of marginalized minority groups.

(...)

3. Because of their dented reputation Mosques should face more scrutiny during teachings and prayers to combat radicalisation. I would slip more secret service agents into their communities

(...)

I feel like saying "because of their dented reputation" pretty much betrays a lack of actual, sound reasoning. Do you support spying on individuals because they have (in your estimation) bad reputations? How about other kinds of groups? You're the one with the self-proclaimed heightened sense of empathy -- would you like it if your own friends and family were being spied on secretly because some people thought they were affiliated with groups with "dented reputations"?

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Ok, so time to respond to some of these.

Let me start with the original solution that GrumpyOldDude responded with to my original query

1): How does this work? Short of mind reading, there's no fool proof means of testing immigrants for compatible values. Moreover, let's define compatible values. Whose idea? Yours? Mine? And at what point do we draw a line? Here in the US, we can't even agree on many seemingly basic things (e.g. gay rights). How would we define that now? Let's leave even that aside, as maybe we can find something that everyone can agree on. But what's to stop someone from just spitting out the 'right' answers just to get in?

Now by no means do I believe that we shouldn't look at who we are allowing into the country. I am not against doing sane things like background checks, etc. just so that we can know that we aren't letting in some obvious criminal. That's fair enough. But these sort of things cannot catch everything. There's a point when you just have to realize that there's only so much you can do.

2): Pretty much above.

3): To an extent, already exists. At least here in the US, and I'd imagine, even in Europe. My only commentary here is where do we stop? Once governments are given the power to spy on people, for 'national security', where do we stop? At what point do we say that 'we are safe now'? What's to stop the government from abusing this power by claiming that more threats exist and therefore more is needed to combat the threat? Power, once given, is really difficult to get back.

4): Again, already exists to an extent, and I would again posit the above argument.

5): We've touched on this a bit, but in general, I'd now begin to argue about costs and feasibility. How would doing any of this be doable within costs and time constraints?

6): Police/military on the streets pushing into people's lives? Again, monetary costs, and where does it stop? And I'd guess that Muslim looking people (and note how I say looking) would probably bear the brunt of this entire onslaught? Where does it stop? How far do you want to go? Let's say for a moment that Muslims are your main concern and those are the ones you really want to crack down on (and by the way, I do not at all agree with this). How many totally unrelated people are going to be caught in the crosshairs? Let me give you an example. My own. I am not Muslim. None of my family is. I was born Hindu and am now Agnostic. Yet I am very often mistaken for an Arab man, since my family comes from Punjab, India, where many of us look somewhat Arab to the untrained eye. I'm absolutely frightened at times as is, and I'm not even Muslim. Now extend the logic a bit. Even some non immigrant Europeans can be mistaken for Arab since they have darker tone of skin. And now, imagine if you are Muslim. See where I'm going?

And here's the real kicker, a ton of Muslims would pass as Caucasian to top it off. The Boston Marathon bombings were done by such people.

And where does it stop? How far do you go? You can literally give up every right in the name of safety. You'll be safe from terrorists, sure. But you won't be living in the Western nation you knew and loved. And you'll have a new problem: the government.

Sure, it's extreme. But nothing happens in one day.

Then there's the issue that alienating the group in question, Muslims, does in fact only create more extremism. Extremism does indeed breed more extremism.

7): I won't even get started on Trump. My posting history here on this site makes my views on Trump very clear. And everything I've said so far applies to his 'ideas'. I will state this: that man is the solution to literally nothing.

"The hell you can't. Because we did it. These Muslims are no different than the [Imperial] Japanese. The Japs had their suicide bombers too. And we stopped them. What it takes is the resolve and will to use a level of brutality and violence that your generations can't stomach. And until you can, this shit won't stop. It took us on the beaches with bullets, clearing out caves with flame throwers, and men like LeMay burning down their cities killing people by the tens of thousands. And then it took 2 atom bombs on top of it. But if that was what it took to win we were willing to do it. Until you are willing to do the same...well I hope you enjoy this shit, because it ain't going to stop."

Quote from a WWII veteran overhearing someone say that `You can't bomb an ideology."

It can be done. But current leaders don't have the willpower to do it. People of the "love everyone", "no guns just hugs", and "tolerance above all especially to those who wish to kill us" attitudes don't have the willpower.

People can think that will work all they want. It won't. All these celebrities that preach this, I am waiting for them to go over somewhere in that part of the world and just walk down the street or hold a concert. No, not on a military base or something like that, but really out amongst those people.

All the people that support letting anyone and everyone into their country, why don't they let them come live at their house (or one of many houses for the rich). Why do they lock their doors at night? Why do they live in a gated community or gates around their house?

If you move to another country and want to be part of it then you should assimilate to their culture. You dont need to give up everything you came from, but you cant expect the new country to change its culture to fit you. You are the one that decided to go there. One of the guys that did the Manchester or London attack (forgot which one) has been on documentaries in the UK out in a public park in the UK. Praising ISIS. Demanding Sharia law be imposed immediately in the UK.

And then you have the Mayor of London about a year ago, just saying that terrorist attacks are just part of living in a major city and to get used to it? Really? Really?!?

We, people of Western Civilization, are just too weak-willed and too "OMG I got to be PC" to do anything about it.

I've seen this attitude a lot, and I've offered the same questions and points over and over, with no good response. Let's break this down.

Bombing an ideology can be done? Really? Do tell me how? Comparing the Japanese in WW2 to radicalized Muslims is a piss poor comparison for a number of reasons. The first one: Japan was and still is a nation-state. A very clearly well defined enemy. It's pretty damned easy to bomb a clearly defined enemy into oblivion. There's clear, visible, targets: enemy soldiers, tanks, planes, warships, factories, trains, etc. Here, there's people who are targets, like ISIS. However, the majority of terrorist attacks are committed by citizens, not foreigners. So who's the enemy? Citizens who are Muslim? Not really, since there's a ton of Muslim citizens, and many have been living in these countries for decades. Yea, it's the ideology again, right? But tell me, how do you eradicate an ideology? Ban it? How? Kill people espousing it? Put limits on speech? Where does it stop? As I've mentioned before, how far do we go? Go far enough, and indeed, you will stop this extremism, but you won't recognize the country that you live in. Then there's also the alienation problem I mentioned earlier. And here's one thing I will note in all of this, I am not even talking about racism or other PC labels here, this is simply an argument based on reasoning.

Another point about the Japan thing: people forget the sheer amount of effort put into rebuilding Japan and West Germany after the war. The last time effort was not made to do so was WW1, and look what happened right after. So it is not about 'bombing the enemy into pieces'. As Khatharr has appropriately stated, we've been doing this for years, and it's gotten us literally nowhere.

And can we please stop misquoting the mayor of London? His quote was that he believes that major cities should be prepared for terrorist attacks. Is there anything untrue about this? I do not see him saying to 'get used to terrorism' since it's 'normal'. This is bullshit. And this is also a witch hunt, just like the PC witch hunt that people love railing about.

My final points on this: this is a much more complicated issue than people want to believe. It does not have a simple solution. Let me pose this question to everyone in the thread: why would any sane, rational, human being living a life somewhere want to do something that meant certain brutal death for his or her self? The answer is not as simple as 'ideology'. It is one part of the answer, but there are more aspects to it than that.

EDIT: So I typed up this response while a bunch of people responded. Some more thoughts:

It is worth noting that terrorism gets the attention it does mainly because of how publicized the attacks are. In the US, more people are dying of gun violence than terrorism itself, as @OberonCommand pointed out. That being said, it is a problem worth examining and trying to remedy, but perhaps not in the heavy handed and expensive methods we are already using. A lot of the issue now is that there are massively vested interests involved in this issue. Some are like Trump, a demagogue whose sole purpose is perhaps just to enrich himself. Others are companies like Lockheed Martin and other defense contractors, whose sole goal is to create a threat, by means of lobbying senators and congressman and others, so that they can sell weapons and make profits. There's a ton of others too, including media to generate sales, and filmmakers. Then there's also the foreign policy failures involved, dating all the way back to the Cold War, when some fool thought it'd be a good idea to arm radicalized nut jobs in a then unknown place called Afghanistan to fight the Soviets. One of those guys who was armed was called Osama bin Laden. Maybe you remember him.

cowsarenotevil (that's still an awesome name man, which always fascinates me for some reason) makes another great point too: ISIS does not want to conquer the West, the way many people seem to think/fear. The whole goal is simply to break down Western society and start catastrophic global warfare. They don't really care if they live or not. They just want to divide people up. That's always been terrorism's goal: fear. And that's what we should fear most: fear itself, as FDR famously said. I'd also argue that the other reason a lot of this exists is actually much simpler: resources. Not many people know this, but the reason why the Syrian civil war started in the first place was actually because of a water crisis and poor government management. Ironically enough, this is the reason that a lot of these issues exist. Resources are scarce, and even scarcer in some places in the Middle East.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

As most programmers understand, errors can pop up from many places. A seg fault due to a corrupt pointer can come from all over a program. Just because an error occurred at a particular function, doesn't mean that function itself is incorrect. You have to pop open the debugger, check the call stacks, trace inputs outputs, look for the real culprit. If every time an error occurred I just immediately deleted the code where the error occurred I'd get no where.

Let's modify this analogy to be closer to how terrorism (or just violent crimes in general) work and the constraints that preventative and diagnostic measures have:

- You've seen this type of library crash before but it's always been typical minor crashes or almost-crashes.
- You don't have the source code to the library, and disassembling or decompiling it is not only not feasible, but it is illegal and would get you sent to jail.
- Your company policy states that you're not allowed to remove this library if you don't have conclusive proof that it will crash severely.
- All libraries have the fundamental right to execute, even if they're detrimental to the overall functioning of your software.
- You must accept and integrate any and all libraries that want to be integrated in your program, even from developers you don't trust.
- Each library is *supposed* to obey a strict set of rules to avoid interfering with another, but nothing forces them to actually obey.
- Occasionally, one library is intentionally written to interfere with other libraries.
- The library then crashes severely in production and deletes its own library file from all of your systems and burns out your motherboard at the same time.
- There's nothing left to diagnose, so you don't know how to properly recognize and isolate this issue in the future.
- You could blacklist the company that made that library, but you use a few billion other libraries from them and they're all working fine.

How would you address bugs with those constraints and symptoms?

Those aren't constraints, that's a political ideology poorly disguised as an attempted rebuttal; and that is not at all what I said nor implied in anyway. I could dissect the post, but lets be honest, no matter what I type you're not going to read it anyways. It'd be a waste of time for you but far more importantly me.

Until you understand the problem, you will not have a solution.

do you lock the door to your house? why? I would wager that almost every single person that comes to your house does NOT want to do you harm....but there is the possibility that someone will. so you lock your door. and when someone comes to your door you look out the peephole, or you open it to see who it is. you vet them before you let them in your house. if you don't know who they are or you *can't* vet them because there is no reliable information about the individual then you close the door and don't let them in. why can't our country do the same?

because it is "racist". because it violates their constitutional rights? last I checked the US Constitution does not apply outside US territory to non-US citizens. If it does that is news to me and someone should alert China, North Korea, Russia...and well the whole world that they all better start adhering to the US constitution.

Now is this ethical? I will say it is an ethical gray area.

And if the US and other western Europeans would stop screwing in the affairs of those in the middle east then some of it would probably stop too. I make no illusion that we don't stick our nose in everything. But when s**t goes down, and genocides, mass atrocities, dictators/others mass killing of civilian populations...who does the world always ask to go in and help. Then the rest of the world generally wants the US to intervene. So they want our nose in it. And when we don't (Syria...mostly but we do *some* covert stuff there) the world it like WTF. Why aren't we putting an end to it (like the famous chemical weapons red line from Obama that didnt stick). But of course, that then pisses off the ones doing the genocide/mass killings.....

So you can't win that one when everyone wants you out of their business, except for when they want all your foreign aid money, except for when they want you to defend them, except for when they are being slaughtered.

This is my last one in this thread. I don't say I have all the right answers and it is important to listen to others point of view without just yelling names and labels. Unfortunately, that is how the US works now.

And for the programming comparison above, I would elect new members on the board of the company that would change the policy that allows the removal of the offending library. Then to make a policy that since the library continually caused us to crash, and the company we got it from refuses to fix it then we would accept no future libraries from them. The ones we already have with that company we will just deal with until they expire. Or I would change companies.....do they speak English in Iceland?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement