🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Time Sync Program

Started by
9 comments, last by samoth 7 years, 2 months ago

You probably have hundreds of programs on your computer - why are you especially worried about this one?

While this software seems to be of non-malicious nature (in general, the particular copy used by the OP might still be), there is nevertheless a good reason to worry: This falls into the category of software that tries to solve a totally non-existing problem, which usually demonstrates the lack of insight on the inventor's part (in this case, the software is a bit older already, which might serve as an excuse). Which is, of course, a concern.
This is very similar to the literally hundreds of useless tools that "optimize" memory usage by purging the buffer cache and "fix" the registry by deleting more or less random keys. In the best case, they do nothing, in the average case the computer performs worse, in the worst case you have a non-working computer.

I didn't use internet time synchronization until 2001. Why? Well, it is not really necessary. The hardcoded DST switch worked fine, and drift was maybe half a minute or so per year. I wish my wristwatch was that accurate! In 2001, I started using internet time sync. Why? Well, because Windows XP onward does it by default, and it works really, really well without any additional software whatsoever, and you don't even need to set time once. But there's hardly a reason to run a third party program for that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement