🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hey guys, i'm a dude that want to know a thing, no better place to ask about it than here

Started by
5 comments, last by Hodgman 7 years, 2 months ago
If someone know, if you are an expert or know something about this, answer me with your goodwill. Example to explain my question: You guys probaly know the game "LoL", "GTA", "Overwatch" and others, imagine that those games don't exist yet and i have the idea, only the idea, to create they, what should i do? I mean what is the whole process to create some game? How did LoL was created, but not how LoL itself was created, but Riot, how did Riot was founded? how did they got the money to start creating their game? how did they got the team of developers? how did biizzard make their game? How did rockstar make it? How did they start?
Did you guys get my doubt? So, now, imagine that i want to create a game, How can i start? How can i make the samething, how can i create my own game like all this game companies started? How to start?
This is just a curiosity mine, i always want to know this.
Note that i don't wan't to know the process of creating the game itself (characters, history, plot, etc), what i want to know is how to start doing this, someone can answer me plz.
Advertisement

Usually people save up a lot of their money to fund themselves and most times a few friends who they've met already in the games industry. They got it on their own, supporting themselves on their savings until they publish. Or if they have a good track record releasing quite a few good games in the past working for someone else they can sometimes pitch their game idea to a publisher and get funding.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

There is no quick and simple answer to this, but the following link gives a lot of information:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm

Hello to all my stalkers.

Yeh, thanks guys for answering. In the end, my question is, in my alleged reality, how to get financing for "my company" (or if it is even possible) to create my own game, because money is the main key, with it you can make all the rest, you can get the development team, and with it you can create the game.

the development team - Audio, Artists, Programmers, Publishers, etc... And me without any skill would be something like "the director", as i'm paying for their job and the idea of the game is mine, so i tell the developers what to do to make it.

Those answers are found on that same site linked to above. Start at item 1, then read all of them through the most recent.

I think items 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 21, 23, 24, 30, 31, 35, should give you a good overview. Still I suggest you read them all, as they can teach quite a lot.

Yeh, thanks guys for answering. In the end, my question is, in my alleged reality, how to get financing for "my company" (or if it is even possible) to create my own game, because money is the main key, with it you can make all the rest, you can get the development team, and with it you can create the game.

the development team - Audio, Artists, Programmers, Publishers, etc... And me without any skill would be something like "the director", as i'm paying for their job and the idea of the game is mine, so i tell the developers what to do to make it.

Last time someone actually did this, this is what happened. http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/38-studios-end-game/

If you've made a few games in the past, probably 5-10% of your game ideas are good ideas that will coherently fit into a game. It's more like 0-1% otherwise. Without experience making games, and the skills to test ideas, your value is only in bringing money to the table. If you tell your developers what to do, rather than letting them do their jobs, then the whole enterprise will fail. Ideally, you would simply be an investor and not be involved in the day to day of the company at all. Anything else is dangerous.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

If thats the arrangement that you want, then you need to have the money to hire all those people.

In the end, my question is, how to get financing for "my company"

Well this question is in conflict with the above arrangement. In the situation you describe above, you need to have money. No one is going to just give money to someone who doesn't have any proven talent, experience or track record... so if the above arrangement is your goal, then how to get the money for it is general life advice... Play the lottery, invest in the stock market, work three jobs, inherit a fortune from your rich uncle? Then once you're rich, you can use that money to hire a full game development team and boss them around.

Now alternatively, if a small talented, experienced team with a proven track record of success happened to come together, form a studio, and build a small prototype of a game... then those people could take their prototype to a range of investors, from traditional publishers to venture capitalists to crowd-funding... and then they could use that investment to increase the size of their team and turn their prototype into a full game.

So, I guess you should either decide that you want a career as a game developer and start practicing a talent, so that you can be one of the people making the game... or decide you want a career as they guy who convinces investors to hand over their cash, and go to business school... or start saving up all of your extra earnings and working on a get rich quick scheme so that you can invest your own money into a project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement