🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

This place is crap

Started by
5 comments, last by jpetrie 7 years, 3 months ago

Delete it, lock it, or cry to your boyfriend. Doesn't matter to me. I'm out.

Advertisement

Is this your way of complaining about the incident below?
KjoxKKC.png

FWIW, that's not a very constructive way to make a complaint. The classifieds forum exists to stop the rest of the forum from being overrun with recruitment threads, you're going to have to make some kind of actual well formed argument if you would like that policy changed. Your energies would be better put to use on making an actual well formed recruitment post in that section. Perhaps sharing some details about your project beyond just "I got the creative stuff covered" would be a good way to improve your success while recruiting. Good luck with your project.

We have a few relatively simple rules (most of which are really just common courtesy) to help keep this community running smoothly.

One of those rules is that we only allow recruiting in a particular forum. This helps to stop all of the other forums from being flooded with recruiting topics so that other discussions will get a chance to be seen and people will be able to get help. It also means that all the recruiting is nicely organized in one place so that people will know to look there when wanting to join a project.

Rules similar to this are quite common in active online game development communities, and you'll find similar rules in most other large communities such as TIGSource, Unity Community, Indie Gamer, etc., whilst others disallow recruiting completely (such as /r/gamedev, who direct people to recruit elsewhere and delete/close any adverts posted).

If you don't find this community valuable you are of course most welcome to leave, but cutting yourself off from a large and active community just to avoid a simple and very common rule seems a little short-sighted to me.

Lastly, we won't delete this, lock it (as long as our rules are being followed) or cry to anyone - this is a mature community, and as such we are not afraid of a little criticism and allow members to express their opinions on our rules and policies - if you have any suggestions we are happy to listen and consider them, but as Hodgman says, we are extremely unlikely to change the policy requiring recruiting in a specific forum, as it is very effective and most members of the community actually prefer we do it this way.

Good luck with your project! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Recruiting and self advertising is frowned on by the community, because we use this site to take a break from work, the last thing we want is someone's work flashed into our faces.

It's a good thing to review the community rules before posting, don't complain if the mistake was yours.

If I am a skilled programmer looking to join a new project, one of the things that would tell me who not to join is if the person I was about to join made this topic.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Breaking a minor forum rule put in place to prevent recruitment spam all over the site isn't reason to throw a tantrum. In his introductory thread he states he never completed high school nor bothered with college (so guessing no GED either) and vaguely states he studied game development. Then his locked thread mentioned above was trying to recruit for a team. The biggest problem I have is his utter vagueness as he never states what his experience is in regards to game development. If he has no team leading experience it could bite him as it would be his job as lead to motivate and keep the team on task. With such vague posts, I can't imagine a skilled programmer/artist/musician/etc (or beginner for that matter) trying to join since they have absolutely no clue what they are getting into.

I think the appropriate points have been raised here and there is no need to beat a dead horse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement