🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Would you play a game like this?

Started by
1 comment, last by sleepypixie 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi all. I recently dug up an old project of mine now that I have some more time on my hands these days and was wondering if it was worthwhile continuing with it or not. So the question really is would you play this game. All comments / ideas welcome.

The game: "Adaptor"

Basically in this game you have 'templates' which are oddly arranged hexagonal grids on top of which you can place 'adaptors'. These adaptors are like little programming building blocks which connect to each other to 'do things'

When you are satisfied you take your templates to a battle field and then create 'instances' of them on the battle field. These instances are simply called bots and these bots should fight it out with enemy bots. Templates are free to design but fabricating instances of bots from them on the battle field costs 'minerals'. So you got create cost effective useful bots or you'll just be wasting your resources.

The concept is a bit to take in I think, so I created a little playable demo that shows the concept.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4R1dtfUm4ypcWZPcm4wR0NXSlU/view?usp=sharing

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:8046]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:8045]

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download and run the exe.

You are give three templates to work with (bottom left) and a whole bunch of adaptors to play with (top right).

Place adaptors to satisfaction on your templates (hover them for info on how they work).

When ready click the 'return' button to go to the battle screen.

When in battle, select the templates youre using in the bottom left of the screen to tag them for keyboard access.

Then click on the playing field to launch your 'mother ship'.

The mother ship is controlled with arrow keys and pressing 'a', 's' or 'd' will create an instance of the tagged template where your mothership is located.

If there are any questions feel free respond here.

All feedback welcome.

Please note this is just a rapidly prototyped demo of the concept and has nothing to do with the platform, tech stack or graphics of the game I would actually build.

Advertisement

Can you post a video? I don't really want to download and run an unknown .EXE just to understand the concept

Maybe if you give some examples of what the adaptors can do and how the player makes them perform their actions in battle, the concept will become clearer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement