🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New interface

Started by
70 comments, last by Brain 7 years, 6 months ago

... looks like it took a lot of work. The interface is very nice.

Advertisement

Yeah I just noticed it as well. A bit easier on the eyes, now 2017 can begin.

[attachment=34027:thumbs up0.jpg] @[member='Khawk'],

Edit: whats "Ignore forum" at the top right supposed to do? That kinda seems like a negative (or unnecessary) thing (or language) to add though

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

whats "Ignore forum" at the top right supposed to do? That kinda seems like a negative (or unnecessary) thing (or language) to add though

It used to be "Follow this group" and "Unfollow this group" or something like that. I'm not settled on the language myself, but it was the best I had at the moment. Options I see are:

• Follow/Unfollow Forum
  • Watch/Unwatch Forum
  • Watch/Ignore Forum
  • Like/Unlike Forum

Running out of synonyms. It could just be the "Follow", but I was trying to reduce the button size through creative wording. :)

Basically it's a function to notify you when changes occur and the opposite of that when you are already subscribed, but the language for the opposite of "Watch" is tough.. If anyone has any better words for that I'm open to suggestions, or it can just go back to "Follow/Unfollow" and take a few more pixels.

Admin for GameDev.net.

"Enable Notifications/Disable Notifications", comes to mind but this would significantly increase button size

So how about using "notifications" only on the button, with a cursor pop-up showing the toggle ---> "Enable/Disable"

Probably thread should move to CSI

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This new layout does not play well with 4:3 screens. The sidebar ads take up a quarter. Can these not be moved to the top/bottom for 4:3 screens?

Apart from that I like the new changes.

One thing I miss from the old layout is having unread threads bold while read threads are normal in the forum list, as it made it a lot easier to see at a glance (even with the blue highlight I find I have to double-check).

Currently both unread and read are bold.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Works for me. Nice work.

"It is terrible. I hate it. I'm going to stop visiting here if the site doesn't go back to how it looked..."

But seriously, the update feels clean and looks nice. Only update I can think of off hand so far would be getting forum posts to take up the full width of the window rather than the big blank space below the side bar once you scroll down past the last ad box.

It was also very weird when I glanced over the page a few times during the day. Not sure if the changes were rolled out slowly, or it was just weird caching effects going on my end, but the change seemed to be slow and subtle and was just weird. "Wait, something seems off... *read another post* wait, more things seem different... what's going on?" Good times, good times.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

One thing I miss from the old layout is having unread threads bold while read threads are normal in the forum list, as it made it a lot easier to see at a glance (even with the blue highlight I find I have to double-check).

Currently both unread and read are bold.

Interesting because it never did that. :) At least not according to the stylesheet. What I think you might have been seeing is links visited vs not visited. Links are still being tweaked so I'll keep that in mind. Also maybe the blue highlight is too soft to be noticeable on some screens. There's also the read/unread dot in the left column of the row to help identify. Either way, we'll definitely consider ways to make sure it's easy to identify read/unread content.

This new layout does not play well with 4:3 screens. The sidebar ads take up a quarter. Can these not be moved to the top/bottom for 4:3 screens?

Apart from that I like the new changes.

I'll look at this more. Our right info column standard is 300 pixels, which goes away once it takes over more than 25% of the screen (can confirm by resizing the browser window).

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement