🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Interview Homework Assignment

Started by
1 comment, last by slayemin 7 years, 8 months ago
So in my high school, we have a class that everyone has to take. The class is about preparing for college and careers. It's basically just a bunch of cringey, low-budget videos about jobs and college. In this class, we were recently assigned to interview someone in the field we intend to go into. So I was wondering if any game programmers wanted to answer the questions for me.

1. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
2. How demanding is your job?
3. What is your favorite part of your job?
4. What in the past has helped contribute most towards your job today?
5. How do you relax on your days off?
6. If you could change your career, would you? If so, what to?
7. What does a typical work day look like for you?
8. What is your work environment?
9. How did you obtain your current position?
10. What career paths are available in your company?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond to this.
Advertisement

1. Seeing systems I've designed/built out there in released titles - knowing that you've contributed to a project that took hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people to produce.

2. It's definitely challenging. As a programmer part of your job is keeping up to date with both the languages you use and the discipline (in my case audio) you work with. Some of the time you're building systems that haven't necessarily been done before so you can be flying blind; it's demanding but very rewarding.

3. The variety of people I get to work and interact with.

4. Probably my degree, wouldn't have got a foot in the door for my first industry job without it.

5. Play games, play music (bass mostly), martial arts... you know, regular stuff.

6. Nope.

7. Step one, coffee. Step two, research. Step three, code. More coffee when required :)

8. I work in a beautiful old industrial build that's been converted in to a development studio; hard wood floors, exposed piping etc. Everything is open plan and I'm embedded in the audio team, so sound designers all around.

9. I was looking for work and knew someone at the company, they set me up with an interview.

10. Take your pick! We hire people at all levels from just about any area related to game development.

1. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Honestly? Having a productive day at the office.

2. How demanding is your job?
I'm the only guy working on the game. It's a ton of work. But it's also pretty low stress and low pressure. But if I don't work... I don't make money, and if I don't make money, I'll become a homeless bum.

3. What is your favorite part of your job?
Seeing something I worked on really hard finally working perfectly. I love writing solid code.

4. What in the past has helped contribute most towards your job today?
Education, Experience, practice, and playing games.

5. How do you relax on your days off?
Days off? I don't have those.

6. If you could change your career, would you? If so, what to?
I'm pretty happy with where I'm at in my career. I'm doing exactly what I should be doing.

7. What does a typical work day look like for you?
Wake up about 1pm. Walk to work. Surf the internet for about an hour. Eat lunch. Get coffee. 3pm. Start working. Midnight. Walk home. Play games for 2 hours. Sleep.

8. What is your work environment?
I rent a desk at a co working space.

9. How did you obtain your current position?

I went and worked as a contractor, saved all my money, put it in investments, then decided the best investment was something I could control, which was my own company, so I started my own company making games because that was my passion.

10. What career paths are available in your company?
I think "career paths" are sort of the wrong way to think about modern employment. It implies that there is a progression of titles and salaries that someone has to climb via a corporate ladder. None of that is important at all. What's important is being able to get things done and to be able to make money for the company. You do that by creating a product/service and selling it. If you can create a lot of money for your company, you can be whatever you want to call yourself. Just keep making money. If you're smart, the company will give you resources to help you make even more money. Often, those resources are money, people and materials. If you can use all of that to make even more money, you're going to do very well and find people calling you their boss.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement