🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ee-ee's Baaack!

Started by
15 comments, last by jpetrie 7 years, 8 months ago

You may have interpreted it that way, but that was never what I was saying. The PDU has been continually evolving for 25 years now, that's one of the things that has made it what it is today. The story has also been evolving for 25 years now... It's amazing what an average writer can actually wind up after 25 years of evolving and adding to the same story. There are characters who have evolved through nearly a dozen different storylines than no longer exist, but the character retains all the depth they aquired through all those old and now replaced storylines. The PDU is all about evolution, that is what has made it what it is now.

It sounds like you are referring to something I had been trying to say about actually writing complete game design documents instead of 20-40 pages of vague notes. My games essentially begin at what you call "Alpha", rather than 20-40 pages of vague ideas.

"I wish that I could live it all again."

Advertisement

Actually, Hodge, I don't think I need to argue that at all. I'm not paranoid, I most definitely need to be very careful of what I say. Attempting to claim any level of knowledge at all of game design that does not originate with your industry absolutely enrages the people who work in the modern game industry. My past posting history in these forums is all the proof of that I need to point too. Just go read it again, and remember that you were speaking to someone with, back then 8 years ago or so, over 30 years of continuous experience design games. Before your industry even existed. Go back read it again, all I need to do is point at my first time here.

What I find funny is that Kavik Kang has arbitrarily chosen GDNet as a target for his endless rants against "the industry" over the years, as if the site is populated by the CEOs and executives that decide which games are made and which people are hired. Most of us are just programmers, designers and artists trying to make a living in this industry, dude (assuming we even work in the industry at all and are not just hobbyists/indies). You're literally barking at the wrong tree. I understand you need a place to vent your frustrations, but what exactly do you want from this site? We're not the ones that are not hiring you or not funding your awesome games. :)

Been around this site for a lot of years and you see this type now and again. Most of us spend our time working on our cool (to us) projects without worrying too much about what people think but sometimes you get the one who would rather spend hours debating about why his project is cool than, you know, actually working on said project. Takes all sorts I guess and we're all free to ignore posts of this type so room for everyone on the internet.

I personally found the greatest thing this site had to teach me back in the early 00's was that I wasn't anything like as advanced as I thought I was. Spending time listening to people who really knew their stuff and realising/accepting how much more there was for me to learn liberated me from a prison I'd constructed in my own head. Humility remains my strongest feature as a developer, because it gets me out of the way of my own learning. I often see people so convinced they already understand something that they can't see past their incorrect preclusions (opposite of conclusion?).

It is all probably quite Zen really. I don't know.

Mike, I realize that. If you look around, GDNet really are the only forums for the industry. And I am old school in using the internet, I started with mail/ftp/usenet and have really never paid attention to anything "social media". Too me internet is e-mail, forums, and web sites. I really don't use any of the more modern stuff.

Aardvajk, I understand all if that. I have been doing this for 41 years now. I was part of the group of people who invented the modern process by which you make games. If you can find someone with more experience to guide me, I'd love to hear from them. But I actually know, or at least met, most of those people a long time ago. In the early days of your industry Dan Bunton taught me a lot about it, we used to see each other at conventions a lot and were kind of fans of each other's work. I really have been at this a while, and accepted being talked down too by people with half-my years of experience with it for literally decades. There comes a point where you just don't care about their egos anymore, and you just start speaking with the knowledge you actually do have... no matter how much that upsets them.

Yeah, you seem really secure and comfortable in yourself. This is, after all, only your third or fourth thread on the subject of how great you are :)

My, this is such a productive and even-tempered thread where we're all treating one another with such respect, isn't it? Oh wait.

Kavik, I think a better venue for posting these sorts of things in the future would be a developer journal. The forums are not for "project updates."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement