🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How are u treated as a "spammer" by The Internet?

Started by
5 comments, last by Dim_Yimma_H 7 years, 8 months ago

In my case, i used comment on a few blogs a couple of times per month for like the last 10 years. But since may 2016, i usually can't comment anymore, because a big third-party website technology has determined that my internet service provider (ISP) is a spamming network. The blogs in question happen to be Wordpress blogs and the 3rd-party tech was made by "Spamhaus", and the blocked ISP is one of the biggest in my country.
As far as i can see, the block was triggered because the ISP assigns dynamic IP addresses (suspicously) to its users and they've been blocked from Wordpress comments because Spamhaus have detected that a lot of them are senselessly posting and messaging (or are infected, more probably) according to their 3rd-party set of detection parameters.

According to Spamhaus, one should be able to unblock themselves (their ISP) through their website, which i tried, but each time i was sort of redirected to their front page instead of being unblocked and there was no error message. In addition they require JavaScript from their unblocking "users" but that didn't help me either, i figure it's because my browser isn't updated enough.

I think that's like "local post office inc." would systematically treat me as a gangster because of my cheap snailmail delivery service provider, or why not because of my favorite shopping mall or my last issue of daily newspaper.

And last week my aunt asked me why two recent personal e-mail conversations between her and two different estate companies were "hidden" in the spam filter of one of the biggest e-mail service providers in my country. For my aunt, that has the first time in... yes about 10 years.
As far as i can see The Internet is more and more governed by the corporative jungle's law, but do enlighten me, pls.

PS. Do u remember last decade? I used to fail in figuring out 2 of 3 captcha codes, really.! But now Google has implemented reCAPTCHA as one of the bigger technologies to validate internet users, and it always determines that i'm a "robot" and only because i have not automatically updated to the latest couple of web browsers supported by Google giggle hi hi hi cheers

Advertisement

You probably have a virus that's sending spam from your computer. If not, call your ISP and ask them for a new IP address.

Many years ago, my ISP ips where treated as spammers by Wikipedia. You should send a support ticket to your ISP.
"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
Exactly that's what's going on, from what i can gather. And my main issue is that the backbone of the net is trying to identify users (and block them) based on rule of thumb, from last decade. An IP address is less personal than a taxi these days.

Well, whole IP block might be blocked and as long as you belong to that group, not much thing to do. Using VPN or proxy is short term solution or may get a static IP if you can make them exclude yours.

Few years ago our biggest ISP had same problem with mass email spamming (usually through zombie computers and malwares) , they blocked SMTP port 25 nationwide , used 587 instead so problem is "solved" atm.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

These blogs are broken.

Spamhaus is designed only to filter email relays, where dynamic ip addresses would be a bad thing as a mail server should have a static ip and reverse dns lookup.

To use Spamhaus dynamic ip block list to filter Web requests is dumb, short sighted and foolish.

You could use a vpn to get around it, or keep complaining to blog owners about why using Spamhaus to filter web spam is stupid as a chocolate teapot...

Hope this helps!

Few years ago our biggest ISP had same problem with mass email spamming (usually through zombie computers and malwares) , they blocked SMTP port 25 nationwide , used 587 instead so problem is "solved" atm.

Wow so this is real, to say the least.

Spamhaus is designed only to filter email relays, where dynamic ip addresses would be a bad thing as a mail server should have a static ip and reverse dns lookup.

It makes total sense now that you say it.

I'm sort of the only one sobbing in the lounge lol, i should go talk about lines of cokde instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement