🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How big is your project?

Started by
37 comments, last by LAURENT* 7 years, 8 months ago
Refactoring "for the sake of refactoring" isn't a great thing, but that is very much different from taking time to step back and review how you're going about things, and that very much can advance you farther along toward your end goals even if you spend time 'not advancing' while you hammer things out.

I try to get it hammered out before I code in the first place. Only as designs evolve dramatically do I usually see a need for re-factoring. Such as actions having entire lists of parts, tools, and skills required, and skills boosted, instead of just one or two parts, tools, and skills. Occasionally, i'll see that a design has serious flaws, in which case, yes - I do re-factor - or re-design from scratch to be more precise. By and large I don't sit down to do code entry until the code is fully formed and written in my head (or on paper if exceedingly complex). You might say that an ounce of research and design before code entry saves a pound of refactoring later. In essence, i try to figure out how to write it first, then enter the code, as opposed to writing the code while trying to figure out what to write, then re-writing the code once i do figure out exactly what to do. If I need to write code while figuring it out, I do it in pseudo-code in the design notes section of the todo list or in comments in the source, figure out out, then enter the code into the editor. Could the resulting code stand further re-factoring? Most likely. Hardly any piece of code can't be code-smithed and massaged a bit more. Does it really need it? Probably not. Especially since I'm the only one who will ever have to work with it. There are sometimes advantages to being an Army of One.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

in my current project Caveman, i just have 6 source files
... what? Did you get inspired by lugaru or something? (or maybe you inspired lugaru, who knows).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I'm building a VR game using Unreal Engine. I'm using a hybrid between blueprints and C++ code, so you can't really measure "lines of code". The game also has a ton of art assets (models, animations, textures, shaders, blueprints, etc).

As of right now, the project is 10gb in size and consists of 5,193 files, of which 65 are source code files. It has been in development since March 2015.

Some of the projects you guys listed are huge, and here I though a 100 files or so was big... geez louise! I couldn't imagine a project with over 100,000 lines of code, or event more like some of you listed. I should of asked that you give list or give some small examples on how you project is maintained. That would be equally impressive. So anyways, I guess my project isn't too bad. I just added a few new features to fix some other old ones. I just put the UI, logger, registry and script support back in. I'm at 106 files.

Go Hawks!

Well, my home projects aren't that big right now.

I get about 65000 lines in the directx 11 version of firework factory, excluding comments across 146 files.

There's probably about the same in the ue4 version, across a much smaller amount of files, but i can't count "lines of code" in blueprints so can only count the C++.

In some of my older games: Dragonfly, 25550 lines across 30 files

These are small though. To get that in perspective, the system we create and maintain in my day job has over 280,000 lines of code, across 1500 files and three distinct platforms and software packages which all communicate with each other. It is used by 30 people at any one time and has three running instances. One is the live system, another is a test system and another is a training system. There are three of us maintaining it.

Now that is a big system but compared to some AAA games, once you include the engine, it's small fry.

I work in C# and MonoGame.

• My shared code (engine/framework) has something like 15000 lines.
  • My main game has just below 10000 lines.
  • My two other games have 4500 and 2500 lines respectively

Those numbers include comments and empty lines though.

I work on a RPG built using a custom engine in C++ and Lua.

• Total of 942 files
  • 300 files are C++
  • 82 files are Lua (used for data retention, scripting)

Our project is open source and has a page over on OpenHub that tracks the project's activity, analyzes code to determine its content/quality/worth, etc. Kind of interesting to see.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

I work on a RPG built using a custom engine in C++ and Lua.

• Total of 942 files
  • 300 files are C++
  • 82 files are Lua (used for data retention, scripting)

What are the other 560 files of code written in? Or are you counting assets like art and so on?

Yes, I was counting assets in the total file count.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

With assets you easily get to 200 files even with a small project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement