🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problem with graphics

Started by
3 comments, last by Eulagrief 7 years, 9 months ago

So I signed up to this site after finding it because I felt it would help me a ton in my desire to create video games. At the moment, my knowledge with any coding language is very primitive, so I'm using game maker until I've studied enough to become fluent in, say, c++. I excitedly opened the program today with intentions of starting my first real game (did create a very basic and silly, barely worked game in high school, but I don't count it). I quickly, very quickly, ran into a problem I should have seen coming. Coding? Yes, I enjoy to learn how to code and script, I'm just a beginner is all. Graphic design? Uh oh... I have no knowledge on how to create graphics. I can't make my character. I can't create the landscape I want. I have no interest in graphics at all for that matter. So essentially what I'm asking here is for advice. Am I going to have to force myself to do something I don't at all enjoy, learn to create graphics? Are there solid graphics that aren't copyright online? I've found some sources with very primitive but free graphics, are there sources with better images I'm not aware of? And if I do have to learn graphic design, what program will make smooth looking images for the games I wish to make? Smoother than say, minecraft (Superb game mind you in my opinion). But nothing too fancy like say, Skyrim or even World of Warcraft with high graphic settings. I personally think WoW looks beautiful. The idea of making even the common explosion seems absolutely overwhelming to me. Where do I start? Thank you in advanced for any help. And just so you know, this is not a register and ask 1 question and never return kind of thing. The more I learn, the more I'll help and contribute to this community, if it is a friendly and helpful community that is :)

Edit: I just realized there was a sticky that says "Read this before your first post". I messed up on that one already, I do apologize and before I make another post I will give that a read. If I've already broken a rule, please forgive me.

Advertisement

Here's a nice post that lists (and reviews) a few websites that offer graphics for games.

I know you requested free graphics, but, since this is your first game, and you probably won't sell it, you could use sprites ripped from commercial games.

Yes, they are indeed copyrighted by whatever company created them, but for a learning project (or fan games, for that matter), they are very much suitable.

By the way, you can also find free sound clips, music, 3D models, etc, online. Just to a quick search for "free *insert type here*" on Google, and you should find them quite easily.

Anyway, good luck, and welcome to Gamedev.

Thank you for the reply. I have indeed looked up free graphics, it was my first attack on this problem. My real problem is, however, getting a specific image in my head into graphic form lol. I'm starting to think common sense says I need to either hire someone or learn graphic design. As for now I can however learn to develop and hone my skills using the freebies. Yes, there are some rather nice looking ones out there, but I want specific things. Thank you again though!

common sense says I need to either hire someone or learn graphic design. As for now I can however learn to develop and hone my skills using the freebies. Yes, there are some rather nice looking ones out there, but I want specific things.

Learning art to make your own assets isn't a bad idea, however it's a long and painful process.

A alternative way of getting specific art made for your game would be to look on the forums of the many online communities for a artist that will do some free work for you.

There is some downsides to asking for free help, most artist willing to do so will be in training and not very experienced, or they will be artist with some free time. inexperienced artist will often be clueless about the mechanics involved. Artist helping you out in there free time will often abandon the project with little warning as there is no obligation towards work they don't get payed for.

The last thing you can try is to just use placeholder art until your game is 80% done, at this point it should be clear to any artist if your game will succeed or fail, if it looks like it will succeed artist might join you for share of the profit.

Here's an idea straight out of nowhere, that I tried with the grandkids:

Draw it on a piece of paper using whatever drawing implements you have handy: Pencils, Biro's, Sharpies, Spraypaints + walls :) and scan or photograph that image. Cut and Paste poses and faces from photographs (ie Them pretending too fight, you pulling faces in the bathroom mirror). Use what ever editting software you have handy to cut away the background. Animate using the Terry Gilliam / South Park Cut & Paste method. (Here's TG on the Bob Godrey Do-It-Yourself Animaton Show -

)

The GKs love to see monsters that they created, literally.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement