Advertisement

Week Of Awesome IV - The Competition Thread

Started by August 08, 2016 04:00 AM
166 comments, last by slicer4ever 8 years, 1 month ago

Everybody's day1 performance is looking spectacular.

My day1 was spent sketching out ideas for games. So far I've settled on the idea of a top-down maze puzzler (think Sokoban) that incorporates both of the gameplay themes shadows and evolution. In a pinch (if the shadows mechanic doesn't turn out) I could also throw in some ruin-like graphical elements, so things are flexible ;-)

This now my day 2, it's 9pm and I am just starting my coding.

So nothing to show yet but I have a few solid hours of coding ahead of me, so let's see!

End of day 2 for me. Here is my entry for the day: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2098/entry-2262105-woa-iv-day-2/

Advertisement

My first prototype is available!.

This prototype includes all of the core gameplay, I believe: movement; combat (including player death); light-level and related damage and regeneration changes; and one enemy type. The enemies wander, and will only discover the player if they stray too far into the light--and can lose the player if they fall too far out of it.

Significant known issues, as far as I recall:

- The aesthetic "Undead" theme hasn't yet been incorporated

- There are only three hard-coded enemies.

- There is no win-condition

- The enemy -model and -animations are all placeholders, taken from a previous project

- The "footstep" sound effects are similarly placeholders

- There are no other sound effects

- The level is a simple, boxy test-room

- There's currently no way to adjust either field of view or mouse sensitivity--if I have time I'd like to add an options menu that includes those features

- The key-rebinding system doesn't accept scroll-wheel inputs. (But you can recover the default usage of the scroll-wheel via the "Reset keys to default" button, below the key-binding UI.

- The "Credits/Legal" button currently does nothing.

I may do a little further work tonight, so today's blog post is intended to be written later.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

My first prototype is available!.

This prototype includes all of the core gameplay, I believe: movement; combat (including player death); light-level and related damage and regeneration changes; and one enemy type. The enemies wander, and will only discover the player if they stray too far into the light--and can lose the player if they fall too far out of it.

Significant known issues, as far as I recall:
- The aesthetic "Undead" theme hasn't yet been incorporated
- There are only three hard-coded enemies.
- There is no win-condition
- The enemy -model and -animations are all placeholders, taken from a previous project
- The "footstep" sound effects are similarly placeholders
- There are no other sound effects
- The level is a simple, boxy test-room
- There's currently no way to adjust either field of view or mouse sensitivity--if I have time I'd like to add an options menu that includes those features
- The key-rebinding system doesn't accept scroll-wheel inputs. (But you can recover the default usage of the scroll-wheel via the "Reset keys to default" button, below the key-binding UI.
- The "Credits/Legal" button currently does nothing.

I may do a little further work tonight, so today's blog post is intended to be written later.

just tried it, very interesting so far. i like the mechanic of raising/lowering the light for health recovery. a few things i might suggest. first switch the block/attack default's, at least imo it's more intuitive for attack to be on left mouse, and block on right mouse(regardless of which hands the player is holding his weapons). still having the controls be configurable makes this mostly a non issue anyway.
second, your player seems to emit a small black patch around them, this made navigation very confusing at first as it seemed like the floor wasn't drawing correctly until i realized what was happening.

other than that it seems like a good start, with some good level design it could be a very good game :)
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

just tried it, very interesting so far. i like the mechanic of raising/lowering the light for health recovery.

other than that it seems like a good start, with some good level design it could be a very good game

Thank you very much! That's encouraging to read! ^_^

first switch the block/attack default's, at least imo it's more intuitive for attack to be on left mouse, and block on right mouse(regardless of which hands the player is holding his weapons).

Hmm... Interesting. I considered that, but thought that it might be made counterintuitive by the character holding the sword and shield in the opposite manner. I'll very much consider changing this (especially as it's almost trivial to implement).

second, your player seems to emit a small black patch around them, this made navigation very confusing at first as it seemed like the floor wasn't drawing correctly until i realized what was happening.

That's odd--I don't seem to see that on my end. Would you upload a screenshot, please, so that I can see it?

(At a guess, it might be that I'm generating light-values greater than 1, or perhaps negative light values, and our machines are handling this differently.)

Thank you very much for the feedback--it's appreciated! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's odd--I don't seem to see that on my end. Would you upload a screenshot, please, so that I can see it?

(At a guess, it might be that I'm generating light-values greater than 1, or perhaps negative light values, and our machines are handling this differently.)

Thank you very much for the feedback--it's appreciated! ^_^

I made a short video, i found a slight hill and you can really see how the blackness shows as i move back and forth there(then i got attacked). It also makes finding walls a bit difficult, it's kindof like the light isn't exactly on you.

I'm running an amd radeon r9 290.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

I made a short video, i found a slight hill and you can really see how the blackness shows as i move back and forth there(then i got attacked). It also makes finding walls a bit difficult, it's kindof like the light isn't exactly on you.

Thank you! ^_^

Wow, that's really weird. I see nothing like that on my side--and the environment isn't blue for me, either. o_0

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Day 2 here http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2214/entry-2262107-day-2-random-access-memories/

Ok it's the end of day2 for me. I managed to get some coding done. I now have a simple map being loaded with my main character moving and colliding with the world.

[attachment=32878:day2 (end).png]

That little green thing is the main protagonist:

[attachment=32879:blob.png]

I'm not satisfied yet with how he handles and animates but I've already sunk more time into that than I would like so it's either gonna ship that way or I'll find time to cycle back during the polishing phase.

Also it's obvious that he's rather small and indiscriminate in-game so I'll have to think about whether to step up my tile size (currently 16x16) to discern the detail or whether to just put more effort into the pixel art there.

Tomorrow my aim is to get the evolution mechanic working and level progression.

Now it is time to sleep!

Wow, that's really weird. I see nothing like that on my side--and the environment isn't blue for me, either. o_0

Tomorrow i can try on a different pc with nvidia card, unfortunately it's a bit past my bed time and their's a few things i'm trying to finish up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement