🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trafic And Activity To The Forums Are Lower?

Started by
23 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 9 months ago

Sorry I haven't posted much the past 2 months. Got you worried? :P

Yes, that's why I've been boycotting the site for the past two months - I was afraid you were locked in frob's warehouse!

(I'm not actually boycotting the site. I've been busy with home improvement stuff, so my programming time - and procrastinating-from-programming-on-gamedev.net time - has been significantly reduced)

Advertisement
Not sure what's up tbh, but I've been getting a lot more traction than usual with my business, hence the low replies count. Certainly haven't forgotten my roots!

Well now I'm getting curious about what the actual data is saying.

Is the increase in traffic for readership, or is general posting up as well? I always found that activity swung kind of at random and never really paid much attention to it. One week we could have a dozen or more threads with a handful of postings in a given subforum, the next we could have one or two threads that seemed to have all the attention with a ton of posts, and the next things could randomly just be quiet. Now i'm curious as to what's popular, or what kind of real trends the data has to suggest.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Post activity swings but the long term moving average is trending up. The last few weeks were a down cycle, which might be what Jist is seeing. The down cycles happen every other month or so, and it's always been this way. Posting and general traffic is also seasonal and has been for the 17 years of GDNet. We're coming out of the down period for that as well.

Readership is way up. A lot of new visitors as well (new users has increased 15% in the last month).

I'll need to dig into the data to capture more specifics about which areas are more popular than others, but the idea that this community isn't as active as it used to be couldn't be more opposite to the data I see and monitor every day. Certainly, we have a lot of room to grow to adjust to the industry trends, but GDNet is very much a growing community.

We are making a lot of changes for growth, but if you want to directly contribute to that growth then spread the word: send out links, post things you like on Reddit and other places, send out tweets, whatever you like to do. The community is only as strong as we make it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

oh, lol.

While I do apologize from my short term observation, and a jump to a conclusion, I was browsing the sections I frequent, and found my month old post on the top, along with other old topics, and was naturally a bit surprised.

well Orymus, you do seem to have a certain style that makes things more palatable... xd\\

I retract my statement, and lock this if needed.

I jumped to a conclusion with limited information, and a small sample of data, I should have known better.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement