🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Visual Studio 2015 Secretly Inserts Telemetry Code

Started by
11 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 8 years, 1 month ago

Breaking news, Windows libc runtime emits diagnostic events only useful to someone who has the debug symbols for the program?

I don't really see a big problem here?...

Visual C++ telemetry functions for EWT -> Windows 10 -> Microsoft -> Conspirational theories!

Meanwhile BigG is reading your emails.....

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
Advertisement

Naming it "telemetry" was probably the biggest mistake in here. That said, why was this feature set up to be opt-out instead of opt-in, if it can't be used without the symbols anyway? I get the use of opt-out on features that have security implications, checked iterators and the like. But this? I don't need the compiler silently adding spurious code regardless of what the additional code does. MS has a particularly bad habit of doing this stuff in the compiler, I don't think clang will tend to do this sort of thing at all.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

MS has a particularly bad habit of doing this stuff in the compiler, I don't think clang will tend to do this sort of thing at all.

Yea, clang's callstack is crystal clear:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
int  __libc_start_main()
void __static_init_thunk()
void __init_heap()
void __allocate_stack()
void __start_thread()
void __record_six_months_of_iPhone_geolocations()

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement