Advertisement

Recommended books for psychoanalysis

Started by May 18, 2016 09:25 PM
6 comments, last by taby 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about modern psychoanalysis?? I'm looking for information on life and death instinct.

I thought psychoanalysis (particularly Freudian) was considered pseudoscience and is no longer studied in modern times except as a historical curiosity?
Advertisement

Have you tried googling ?

I really have no clue what life and death psychoanalysis instinct is but when i googled some of the key words a lot of relevant book titles came up including the ones below

[attachment=31941:pdychoan books.jpg]

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I thought psychoanalysis (particularly Freudian) was considered pseudoscience and is no longer studied in modern times except as a historical curiosity?

Popper did indeed consider psychoanalysis as a pseudoscience, but it's not all trash.

Have you tried googling ?

I really have no clue what life and death psychoanalysis instinct is but when i googled some of the key words a lot of relevant book titles came up including the ones below

attachicon.gifpdychoan books.jpg

I took a look at Amazon and Indigo, but there's so many to choose from and I can't afford them all.

One example of life and death instinct would be Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi: Vader kills the Emperor and himself (death drive) and at the same time saves Luke's life (life drive).

That's more or less right. There isn't really such a thing as modern psychoanalysis in western culture, at least. Psychoanalysis and other theories about how we find meaning in the world became very unpopular in... the late 80s probably? When postmodernism, with its ideas that are somewhere between anti-meaning and arbitrary-meaning became very popular instead. That didn't necessarily happen in other cultures. But the closest things we have to a modern descendant of paychoanalysis in western culture would probably be Personal Mythology and Evolutionary psychology. The evolutionary psychology of depression would be the modern equivalent of psychoanalysis of the death instinct (also called thanatos).

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

I did buy the book Modern Psychoanalysis of the Schizophrenic Patient... published in 2004.

The latest paper is up at http://vixra.org/abs/1605.0238

Beta paper attached:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement