Advertisement

Can anyone recommend cheap games for a classroom?

Started by April 11, 2016 05:47 PM
27 comments, last by valrus 8 years, 5 months ago

I want to purchase some board/card games for the game design unit of my new course. I have to consider how many students can play a game at once and how many of each game to buy. I can't buy stuff for $20 or more as it would be cost prohibitive. Any recommendations?

This isn't really about game design; moving to the lounge.

Advertisement

Well there is tabletop simulator on steam, which seems to have thousands of games available (for free, although there seems to be a few for sale as well) in the workshop, and I assume students could make their own tabletop games as well (thats how all those games were made in the first place...). Of course, youd have to buy the program and I dont know what options there are other than buying an individual copy for every player (though I doubt the entire classroom necessarily needs a personal copy). But something like that is an option.

o3o

No, I want actual paper and cardboard games.

Try 99cent stores and your corner drugstore for ideas.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are they all the same or are there certain concepts that apply strongly to video games?

Advertisement

A few decks of cards and an encyclopedia of card game rules?

For board games, I'd think some yard-sale/thriftshop scrounging could turn up some inexpensive options.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

No, I want actual paper and cardboard games.

If you are going to be analyzing them, Settlers of Catan would be a great one to analyze. Maybe you could get people to donate their old copies of the game, or ask Mayfair for a teacher discount (unlikely, since they sell educational games, with schools as a market). Rio Grande Games is one that might be more willing to donate complete or discounted games. Carcassonne (Rio Grande) is fun - but not as great as Catan, and I can't vouch for the others Rio Grande makes.

Also, you don't need a copy for every student to play simultaneously. You can have 4 students playing, while the class as a whole analyzes and discusses the game as it's being played. Then you could later play the 6 player expansion, and see how it changes up the dynamics. Then you could try the Cities and Knights expansion, and see how the new mechanics further tweaks play styles, and let your students discuss it. Eventually, you could have them propose and discuss and collaborate on their own expansion.

Otherwise, better something like Chess than Random-Game-Your-Students-Arent-Interested-In that you only got because it was cheap.

Battleship and Monopoly are both ~$20, though Battleship is 2-player, while Monopoly is ~4.

Some games are historically/socially interesting, like that shattered-glass Nazi train game, while others (like Catan) are mechanically interesting, which for a game-design class is more in the direction you probably want to go.

If you want a game with both easy and complex mechanics that has lasted over time try magic the gathering, you can buy cards by the pound and for 20$ you could easily get a thouthand of cheap ones bought in weight.

If you want a game with both easy and complex mechanics that has lasted over time try magic the gathering, you can buy cards by the pound and for 20$ you could easily get a thouthand of cheap ones bought in weight.

Is that game complicated?

I guess I should also add that I need simple games. That's why I'm avoiding Dungeons and Dragons. Not having had the chance yet to study up on the concepts of game design, and having to spend the money I have now is why I need some quick answers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement