🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for ideas on how to teach Game Design in a high school

Started by
159 comments, last by gameteacher 8 years, 3 months ago

5. teaching game design without knowing the first thing about coding. And why would you need to?

I teach game design. I do know the first thing, but not the second thing, about coding (my last programming experience, not counting HTML, was Z80 Assembly). I do not teach programming, and I do not teach using GameMaker or other game creation tools. I don't need to, to teach game design. I didn't need to, to design video games professionally.

So you are right on this point.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

Check out this to see what I've been considering:

http://www.develop-online.net/tools-and-tech/the-top-16-game-engines-for-2014/0192302

Also this:

https://educators.brainpop.com/student-made-games-2-game-making/

As for what I need, I would like to know which kinds of software fit the following criteria:
1. Free
2. Doesn't take up too much memory
3. Easy to learn
4. Cool graphics (like 3d)
5. Allows for artistic creativity
6. Connects to the field (i.e. recognized as a valuable skill by game schools and companies).

I'm only really familiar with Unity since I use it at work. It fulfills criteria 1, 4, 5, and 6.

I'm not sure what you mean by criteria #2. Unity takes 1 to 6 GB of hard drive space depending on what components you install, and its editor takes between 400 and 1200 MB RAM when it's running. Games made using it take as little as 50MB of RAM to run, and an upper limit of whatever your computer/device has. If that's what you meant...

Criteria #3 depends entirely on ambition. Unity is easy to install. There are lots of videos and tutorials to start learning it. It obviously gets harder to use as the complexity of what you want to make with it increases.

As for art... Unity doesn't really have a 3D modelling tool (i.e. create your own art) built into it. It has a "scene editor" that lets you place objects, but the objects themselves have to be created in other programs. How it usually works is you use a 3D modelling program like Max, Maya, or Blender to create your 3D models, programs like Photoshop to create 2D graphics and textures for your 3D models, then import those files into Unity where you hook everything up and construct the core of your game. I can't make any recommendations here since I'm a programmer, not an artist.

There might be engines which include 3D modelling tools and 2D graphics tools, but I am not familiar with them.

I'm only really familiar with Unity since I use it at work. It fulfills criteria 1, 4, 5, and 6.

That's great news!

I'm not sure what you mean by criteria #2. Unity takes 1 to 6 GB of hard drive space depending on what components you install, and its editor takes between 400 and 1200 MB RAM when it's running. Games made using it take as little as 50MB of RAM to run, and an upper limit of whatever your computer/device has. If that's what you meant...

The question is, I guess, can I get by with macbook laptops running with only 4gb? As long as something can be made, that's ok since students will only be learning on a basic level since it will be an intro class.

As for art... Unity doesn't really have a 3D modelling tool (i.e. create your own art) built into it. It has a "scene editor" that lets you place objects, but the objects themselves have to be created in other programs. How it usually works is you use a 3D modelling program like Max, Maya, or Blender to create your 3D models, programs like Photoshop to create 2D graphics and textures for your 3D models, then import those files into Unity where you hook everything up and construct the core of your game. I can't make any recommendations here since I'm a programmer, not an artist.

Thanks. That's the first real explanation I've heard about how all this software connects. So that's what people use things like mudbox for? There are a bunch of 3d modeling tools where you make characters and then game programs where you import your images and animate them?

What do you know about Autodesk? They provide a lot of cool free software for modeling.

The question is, I guess, can I get by with macbook laptops running with only 4gb? As long as something can be made, that's ok since students will only be learning on a basic level since it will be an intro class.

Just don't run a bunch of other programs at the same time and you should be fine.

That's the first real explanation I've heard about how all this software connects. So that's what people use things like mudbox for? There are a bunch of 3d modeling tools where you make characters and then game programs where you import your images and animate them?

What do you know about Autodesk? They provide a lot of cool free software for modeling.

Yes, Mudbox is a tool like that. Each one has its own specialties. Mudbox seems like it's closer to 'sculpting' than Max/Maya, though that's just from me watching an artist coworker use it for a little while. Max and Maya can both be used for the full 3D model creation process, but they are a bit different in what they're best at. Maya seems to be recommended for rigging (adding information that allows arms/legs/etc to move the proper parts of the model) and then actually animating them. Not sure what Max is recommended for lately.

A while back, Autodesk bought out pretty much all of the professional 3D modelling tools that they didn't already provide. AutoCAD, Max, Maya, Softimage, Mudbox - they're all Autodesk products now. Blender is the only one I've heard of which isn't provided by Autodesk.

Softimage XSI was free for a while. There might be educational versions you can get as well. Lots of different software companies offer deals and discounts for students or schools. I'm not familiar with whether Autodesk in particular does.

Just don't run a bunch of other programs at the same time and you should be fine.
That's a relief! Thanks. And thanks for the clarifications as well.

Okay, so I don't know all the terminology yet. Just to be clear, I want to teach the class so that the students are learning the aesthetics of video games and ultimately producing video games.

As for what I need, I would like to know which kinds of software fit the following criteria:

1. Free

2. Doesn't take up too much memory

3. Easy to learn

4. Cool graphics (like 3d)

5. Allows for artistic creativity

6. Connects to the field (i.e. recognized as a valuable skill by game schools and companies).

Once I know what kind of software to use, I will train myself on it and then place it into the curricular structure I already have for my art classes.

I will also be reading on game concepts, skills and the field itself in order to translate that content into lesson plans. The students will figure out the software beyond the basics that I will teach them. I don't mind incorporating board games and related things into the course provided there's enough time for students to learn the software and produce work that looks great and which is original.

If you omit programming from game development proccess, there is left a big bunch of work that games consume. Let's start a little:

1. Even 3ds max is free for educational purposes, contact Autodesk, they will give per-student home copy, not only to you

2. 3ds max goes from shaping meshes to animation, and it is actualy an operation system with fully deployed script

3. Learn what makes a reason to learn I gess, to not waste students energy on software without perspectivity in itself

4. 3ds max, can render stills and videos etc., and can even boost real-time viewport- you can code arbitrary shaders for materials

5. 3ds max is most limitless software, yet sturdy, but fully customizable and scriptable

6. If you teach your students even the most basic 3ds max script they will become valuable shots in industry, trust me. Also, teach them information that producing graphics demands (verticies, normals, texture mapping, faces, light etc.)

But even if you teach a single point of what I have mentioned, You would provide them with a very valuable knowledge, that, I am not sure you would catch up into knowing too fast yourself from zero, but it still would make a big sence for you and students to actualy advance in it, you being most ahead.

It seems like Gamemaker is limited in the creativity/art sense. It looks like you can just make 2d games with ready made graphics, as opposed to designing 3d characters to then put into a game. Is that a fair assessment?

Whoa. Want/Expect much?

What you want to teach would take beaucoup hours.

My advice; give up and tell your students to subscribe to Darrin Lile's YouTube channel.

Nothing is easy or free... until Bernie Sanders becomes President.

But seriously, the Darrin Lile thing, look into it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement