🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bombing of Brussels airport

Started by
62 comments, last by swiftcoder 8 years, 3 months ago

So just when Europe made some headway into the French bombing case. They find out that there are other co-conspirators. And 2 days later, if I'm not mistaken, Brussels airport is bombed killing 30 people. How will this change the immigration and security protocols across Europe. Will Europe or just the EU take a more visible role in the Middle East now? IOW, boots on the ground. Though it seems tangential and maybe it is, can Europe, Germany especially, continue to let Greece be a gateway for migrants because of the austerity laws passed on it?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Europe(an Union) already handled their immigrant problem after dealing with Turkey and making Turkey "immigrant dumpster" in exchange of some money and visa-free Schengen promise (though they will cancel deal at first opportunity for sure)

But rise of Islamofobia across Europe can be expected, therefore continuing rise of right extremists. European safe haven where even terrorists who doesn't touch them can live and prosper is now in danger, so may also expect some security countermeasures comparable to post 9/11 as well.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

So just when Europe made some headway into the French bombing case. They find out that there are other co-conspirators. And 2 days later, if I'm not mistaken, Brussels airport is bombed killing 30 people. How will this change the immigration and security protocols across Europe. Will Europe or just the EU take a more visible role in the Middle East now? IOW, boots on the ground. Though it seems tangential and maybe it is, can Europe, Germany especially, continue to let Greece be a gateway for migrants because of the austerity laws passed on it?

Until there is proof that migrants have caused this any reaction/thoughts or otherwise is an over reaction.

Keep in mind the person they arrested the other day wasn't a migrant, he was legally a European national (French-Belgium iirc) - I believe this was also true of the French bombings/shootings.

Granted, this won't stop people running their mouths and using it as an opportunity to push their point of view; I've already seen tweets using this an fuel the 'out of Europe campaign' and anti-encryption and I believe his Trumpness has already vomited something to score political points...

I now yield the floor to the inivitable anti-migrant/islam people on the forum...

I don't see how this changes anything. It's not like it is a surprise or anything.

Of course there was co-conspirators, we knew that from the same day of the paris attacks.

There are also lots of other co-conspirators, they even claim to have a whole state of their own.

How will this change the immigration and security protocols across Europe.

Probably not at all because of this in particular.

Terror attacks in Europe is not a new thing.

Brussels has a pretty high percentage Muslim population, up to 1/4 I think, so it isn't necessarily refugees. most definately state (ISIS) sponsored though, as they claimed responsibility almost immidiately, and it was 3 coordinated attackers (That we know of so far).

If that's the case, and it's just homegrown terrorism, I don't think it changes much at all. If it was done by refugees, especially ones already known as dangerous there will probably be a public outcry to stop accepting migrants for a bit, then it will die down, similar to the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

most definately state (ISIS) sponsored though, as they claimed responsibility almost immidiately, and it was 3 coordinated attackers (That we know of so far).

Source or I call bullshit.

No group has said it was behind the attacks but Belgium's Interior Minister Jan Jambon said on Monday that there was a threat from revenge attacks after the capture of Salah Abdeslam.

BBC source

And just so we are clear 'threat' != 'claimed responsibility almost immediately'.

Source or I call bullshit.

It might not be true. Not sure if I trust the sources cited ("Kurdish source" without mention of what)

http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/isis-claims-responsibility-for-brussels/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-supporters-claim-responsibility-for-brussels-attacks-bombings-belgium-airport-maalbeek-metro-we-a6945886.html

Apparantly ISIS' official channels haven't acknowledged it yet, so it could be wrong.

My CNN app said that ISIS claimed responsiblity. I'll look for link on their site.

EDIT: Link - http://www.kcci.com/national/reports-of-2-explosions-at-brussels-airport/38630536

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I don't see how this changes anything. It's not like it is a surprise or anything.
Of course there was co-conspirators, we knew that from the same day of the paris attacks.
There are also lots of other co-conspirators, they even claim to have a whole state of their own.

Pretty much this.

How will this change the immigration and security protocols across Europe.

In a sane world, not much. Daesh (if they are indeed the perpetrators) does not need to hide operatives as refugees. They have done so in the past but mostly to make a point. After all an open, welcoming refugee culture is a big problem for their narrative of the West and strong attitudes and policies against refugees would much more help them gaining followers on the inside. Nevermind that the less places people have to flee to, the more are likely to stay in their territory.

Of course sanity is in short supply whenever terrorist attacks happen and knee-jerk tightening of all kinds of rules and laws very common. There are of course problems to fix (if the security agencies of different European countries cannot even decide on how to transcribe Arabic/Cyrillic characters into the Latin character set in a uniform way, you really need to get that worked out before going all out 1984. Again).

Well, it's starting to definitely push people in the direction of "boots on the ground" in Syria/Iraq. It'll be interesting to see if that ends up happening. Currently the US is opting for air support only along with special forces/black operations, and President Obama doesn't seem to want to change that. I'm not sure how much longer that will hold up at this rate.

As for Europe, I'm not very familiar with what's already in place, but certainly Islamophobia is going to increase somewhat.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement