🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I just survived A Pit bull attack. man this town sux big time.

Started by
64 comments, last by ronan.thibaudau 8 years, 4 months ago

Those kind of incidents happened sometime ago where the owner was forced to neuter their dog to make it less agressive. That's the most cruel thing ever to do to an animal

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

Not sure how you did all that thinking in the instant the dog was running up to you. Seems like a lot of thinking.

My guess it was more along the lines of: "Big dog! Stay back! "

Well lucky I had done muay thai in the past

sounds like reflex action to me - either way.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Either that, or it was incidential. A pitbull is just barely taller than knee height. So... rather than jump 1.5 meters high into the air to get your throat, biting the shin seems somewhat more "natural".

Anyway, reading this story again, the ice coffee thing makes me wonder, too. How is that supposed to work?

Like this?

Part of the point of martial arts training is to condition your muscle memory to give reasonable responses to particular attacks without you having to think about it too hard. This becomes especially noticeable if you've ever done any kind of sparring, where things tend to happen so fast that you don't have time to think - your opponent throws a punch and you block it without conscious effort. It's not like you have time to sit there and think "okay, he's coming at me with a roundhouse kick, I should do a side block and then lunge." It all just sort of happens.

I can attest to this. I was on a long run this weekend and tripped. I've been doing a training program that's been having me run 20+, sometimes 25+ miles per week (that's 30+ km for you rational measurement system having people out there). I have been dog-tired and sometimes badly sore and leg-crampy.

Somewhere around mile seven or eight I intended to hop over a parking block to avoid another runner. My leg didn't quite cooperate and didn't life high enough to clear. Most people's instinct is to post their arms out straight to catch themselves and protect the face. Not good, especially on pavement. I've trained in karate for 10+ years with some judo, so I've practiced falling many, many times. Without thinking and being totally in the running trance I managed to tuck and roll, ending up on my back with my feet flat on the ground prepared to hop back to my feet. I got up without a bump or bruise. I was very lucky though because the other runner told me that my head came very close to hitting one of the parking blocks. Not sure if all the breakfall training in the world could have prepared me for my skull cracking on the side of a concrete parking block...

I've trained in karate for 10+ years with some judo, so I've practiced falling many, many times.

Yeah, still think all the fall training I did while doing ju-jutsu is the most beneficial training I've ever done.

Forever changes your relationship with the floor/ground, somehow it feels a lot closer when you know how to get down on it and up again quickly and safely.

Also, getting repeatedly thrown around is really good for your balance and sense of direction :)

Those kind of incidents happened sometime ago where the owner was forced to neuter their dog to make it less agressive. That's the most cruel thing ever to do to an animal

Hold, wait what? Neutering/spaying isn't cruel.

In fact, is it not legally required in Australia unless you're a registered breeder? I believe that's how it works up here in Canada.

It is both cruel and evil

A dog is meant to behave like a dog, its an animal, and some breeds are genetically wild and aggressive. If you cannot contain their nature don't breed them, don't own them.

You are castrating a dog for being a dog

Its like castrating a person for behaving like a person.

Some people even neuter animals for population control. Do we castrate humans despite that our population is beginning to threaten the earth? Stick condoms on the animals dicks if you don't want them to breed!!!

How would you feel if you imaging you are castrated? If its not good why do you pretend its alright to neuter a dog? Because dogs can't speak and protest?

Its cruel, evil and should be banned worldwide

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

It is both cruel and evil

A dog is meant to behave like a dog, its an animal, and some breeds are genetically wild and aggressive. If you cannot contain their nature don't breed them, don't own them.

You are castrating a dog for being a dog

Its like castrating a person for behaving like a person.

Some people even neuter animals for population control. Do we castrate humans despite that our population is beginning to threaten the earth? Stick condoms on the animals dicks if you don't want them to breed!!!

How would you feel if you imaging you are castrated? If its not good why do you pretend its alright to neuter a dog? Because dogs can't speak and protest?

Its cruel, evil and should be banned worldwide

Its funny, I know of no one who has a dog that isn't fixed; and I know a lot of people who own a dog (including a vet tech). Everything I've ever read says if you don't intend to breed, get them fixed. Dogs are not like people, sex is for them is strictly for procreation, its not necessary for social or emotional well-being. In the wild many wolves will never procreate, as only the alpha male/female of a pack get that opportunity (wolves aren't dogs, but they're closer to domestic dogs than people are).

I can't help but think if you only have "bite marks" to show from a pit bull attack you were really Lucky he didn't bite "that" hard.

Also how the hell would a weapon have helped? As the victim you should be pretty aware of how fast this happened, you barely had time to block yet you you think you could've gotten and armed a weapon in that little time? Even a knife takes time to pull out from a pocket and when he's on you you're surely not going to think of anything like attacking it, just of running and getting him to let go.

You should go to the police and file a complaint against the owner, if the dog happens to be dangerous (and it seems he is) in most countries he would have to be killed by a vet regardless of what the owner wants. And that sounds very fine to me, i love animals and always have had them but if you can't control your animal you can't keep having it and sadly death is often the only alternative as finding an adoptive family and figuring out they'll be able to re educate him is a pretty good recipe for getting their kids killed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement