🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Enjoy making a computer game more than playing one?

Started by
5 comments, last by Norman Barrows 8 years, 4 months ago

So for awhile now I've been more enthralled to program my game than to actually play a game. And this has been the case for quite some time. I'm just wondering how many others there are like me.

How many of you regularly enjoy programming your own game more than playing games?

Advertisement

Guilty as charged, although I'm making a graphics application and not a game per-se. There are games however that I simply can not NOT play, but they are not many. In the last couple of years for example I have not played anything except Darksiders 2 and Thief, even though I used to be an avid gamer. It's not that I'm always busy developing, although it's a factor. It's more like I find myself not nearly as interested as I used to be a few years ago.

Same, though I haven't worked on a game in some time I have worked on other graphical applications and a few programs that work as helpers to a few games. I'm pretty sure 80% of my 'playtime' for those games was testing/messing with my programs rather than actually playign the game itself.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

I am very much in that camp. Of course, I still seem to spend much more time playing than making games, but only because it's easier and at the end of the day, I want easy. I mean that literally.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I typically play games more than I make them. Every once in a while I'll get an idea I'm in love with, and I'll put tons of energy into making a prototype. Then when it comes to fleshing it out, I wonder why I'm trying to get myself involved in another full-time job, and go back to playing games.

I love playing games, make contents of the game for fun, and code. I need to get in to math because I think that's where I am lacking.

Than it would be four things that I love. :D

There are times when I do side with one thing specifically for example, There are few games coming out that makes me want to prep for just playing games more than making game arts and code, but mainly, all three (soon four, once I figure out what coding language to master besides C# to understand game engine and set up (the one that is royalty free,) of these are on my to-do list on daily basis.

it depends.

i'm an engineer, so i like to make stuff. my idea of a good time at the beach is building sandcastles.

before i got into game development, programming was a hobby (obsession?). and not just any programming would do. writing hard disk managers, operating environments, and integrated packages was my idea of fun. i probably would have tackled executive information systems next if i hadn't written SIMTrek.

for me, when game development was just a hobby (all six weeks of it) it was about what was more fun, working on SIMTrek, or playing something like SIMCity v1.0. so needless to say it depended on what games were available at the time for playing. if i had a cool game to play, i'd play more and code less, and vica versa.

now that its more than just a hobby (i'm a lone wolf indie), its still about what cool games are available to play, but with the additional motivation for coding that comes with game development now being "more than just a hobby".

when i run out of cool stuff to play, i always wish my games were finished so i'd have something cool to play. then i go back to something like the sims, elder scolls, total war, or silent hunter, play til i get bored, then get back to work! <g>.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement