🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Struggles of the Antisocial Game Developer

Started by
4 comments, last by ferrous 8 years, 4 months ago

So right out of high school I picked up RPG Maker (back in 2006) and started up a ridiculously over-ambitious MMO project with it. I recruited on the RMVX forums and met a ton of people who wanted to help. 3 of which ended up being my best friends basically to this day.

The problem here is that I've continued to pursue game development and making indie games (and actually nearly finished with school for a 3d game art degree) and my friends have all kind of lost their way. They're all "interested" in game development still, but don't seem to have the drive that I do and when I propose we start up a project or do a game jam I get excuses or 4 hours of re-teaching them the game engine or how to do some simple game art.

The worst part is that at one point the biggest draw for game development was because I was very antisocial in high school and liked creating my own worlds to escape into. But now that I'm 27 and a stay-at-home dad as well as a full-time student, I don't have much of a social life. And my only free time seems to be between 10pm and 4am... But I'm craving that team setting now that I've had a taste of it with game jams in the past and kind of know what I'm doing now when it comes to game development.

So how does one find more lasting friends who are serious about at least indie game development? I feel like I post a "friend wanted" ad once a year and never find anyone interested. Not sure how I snagged such good friends back in 2006, but today, even with the massive increase in indie developers, I can't find anyone who actually wants to chat about game dev or work on small projects or game jams together.

Any advice? Or friend requests?

I should probably get a therapist.

Advertisement

A 'friend wanted ad" is, by its very nature, not attractive; you don't join someone to help them, you join someone to do stuff together. If you wish to attract potential long-time programmer friends who share the same interests as you, a good way to do this is to start a (reasonable-sounding) project that you find interesting, and get people to look at it. But do not advertise that you want people to join you, because you don't want too many friends. Rather, let it sit there, in a highly visible and searchable location like a forum or reddit or hacker news or whatever, and let people come to you (using a separate skype account works very well for this purpose).

It doesn't even matter that the initial project is never completed, as long as you and the other people get started and have fun working on it, it's only used as a tool to select for the kind of people you are interested in interacting with. After a while you'll get to know each other better and are more prepared to start more interesting projects. And with any luck those might actually reach completion.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

The problem is indie teams of friends hardly ever succeed.

If you want to make an indie game then do it on your own. All the really successful indies tend to be one man shows.

If you want to make friends then do something more social, join a gym, join a local sports club, go to a bar.

I feel your pain, the older you get the harder it is to meet people in general I feel and finding someone with as specific interests makes it even harder yet. Also, you aren't antisocial (or maybe you are), that means a person you don't want to be with, a not very nice person. If you are finding it difficult to get people to join with your idea you could instead try joining other people/projects. It won't be your idea as much any more but it's easier to join another than to get peopel to join you.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Hey thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I'm no longer antisocial now that I'm older, but i can't help but feel that most game developers, especially indie devs are.

I also realize how awkward and pathetic a friend wanted ad is, which its why i was trying to look more for advice or suggestions on how to meet more people who share the common interest of game dev.

Also, I have plenty of friends outside of games. I belong to a climbing gym so i meet people there constantly. Is it really that much to ask to want friends who are passionate about the same things your are?

I'm also not looking for a team of friends to build an epic game with. I really just want friends to learn, do game jams, and essentially grow as game developers with.

Joining a project is a great idea though. Or just recruiting for an upcoming game jam. I guess I always assumed I should only recruit for big projects.

Thanks, everyone.

You could always post a journal here on gamedev of your game in progress, and let people know you're looking for collaborators. You get a bit of the community/friend feel by seeing their work, and their thoughts on your work. I think there's also a irc chat as well, but I haven't joined it, but that might also help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement