🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

#christmas

Started by
21 comments, last by szecs 8 years, 7 months ago

How'd you spend yours?

I personally hate Christmas for a variety of reasons, social obligations being the most prominent of the lot. So, for the past four years I've stayed away from family stuff. Frankly, the pressure of having to memorize poems (or make them up as I go) makes me vomit. Also, I hate having to buy presents for people I hardly care about. Overall I buy presents for 2-3 people I genuinely care for and I never expect one in return. Life is so much simpler like this.

Anyway - I spent mine with a couple of friends, playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and drinking White Russians. I had Necromancer and they had Sorceress and Barbarian. So, naturally I won*.

* as usual, we never finished the game**

** then again, if you've player the game you know there's no question about who's going to win

Advertisement
At the office listening to Christmas versions of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger songs.
It is family day at Square Enix and they are giving tours to the families of employees, and the desk next to mine was decided to be a picture-taking place for the kids, and is playing music for the atmosphere.

L. Spiro

[EDIT]
I checked. I will be able to show some pictures later tonight.
[/EDIT]

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I spend my holidays dealing with psycopathic inlaws.

Legit psycopathic, not annoying.

Aussies Xmas day is getting to an end and some are just waking up to the day!!!

Why is the world not just simply flat? we would all have had the same xmas day for everyonelaugh.png

I personally hate Christmas for a variety of reasons, social obligations being the most prominent of the lot.

Showing love doesn't have to be tasking or burdensome. Traditions aside, xmas is an opportunity to call someone you haven't in touch with for years and say "i love you". I would appreciate that more than all the material gifts in the world

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

A few close relatives came to visit, and a few not-so-close relatives.

Mostly spending it with family (I enjoy my parents and siblings alot), but also some not-so-close relatives came over which is too much socializing for me, but only for a few days, so I can put up with it.

Played a few games of Settlers of Catan, gonna have to do more socializing with the distant relatives tomorrow, and then relax with family after tomorrow.

My brother was also here a few days ago and brought over his new-ish girlfriend, but we got along so well with the girlfriend, it felt like she was part of the family right from the get-go, and she didn't feel like a "guest" we had to worry about keeping entertained.

Even the more distant relatives, it's not that I don't get along with them, it's just that we (as hosts) have to keep them entertained, I don't have too much incommon with them, and I'm an introvert. Trying to come up with subjects to talk about is difficult for me. mellow.png

Frankly, the pressure of having to memorize poems (or make them up as I go) makes me vomit.

Ugh, that sounds terrible. We've never done any kind of caroling or anything like that.

Also, I hate having to buy presents for people I hardly care about.

We tend to avoid that also, avoid almost all gift-giving this year and previous years. We try to make it more of a "Christmas dinner" kind of thing, like a smaller Thanksgiving.

It's really not all that bad, so I can entertain/host the guests for a few days. The only guests actually spending the nights at our house (this year) happen to be ones we get along very well with, who we don't really have to "host".

Anyway - I spent mine with a couple of friends, playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and drinking White Russians.

blink.png

Forget my guests, I'm coming over to your place next year.

We played some HoMM 6 around Thanksgiving, and have been drinking mulled-wine and brandy + egg nog (when the temperance guests are looking in the other direction laugh.png), and I've made some fruit-flavored liquors I've been mixing into my ice tea recently (unrelated to the holidays), so all's good.

Even the more distant relatives, it's not that I don't get along with them, it's just that we (as hosts) have to keep them entertained, I don't have too much incommon with them, and I'm an introvert. Trying to come up with subjects to talk about is difficult for me.

Common problem- even if you are not an introvert.

Even though you are the host, maybe you should not put the burden of the subject to talk about on yourself alone, allow the guest to be in control sometimes.

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Small family BBQ, presents, prawns, ham, pork, chicken, salads, pavlova, beer, champagne, 35c/95f sunny weather, waterfights, slip'n'slide, afternoon napping, too much leftover food/drink.

Posted with permission (photos taken by me):

10259297_10153147146736470_3936087569793

1614090_10153147147496470_73716056663646

Took the 2nd picture while sitting at my desk. Fairly distracting during work.

http://www.facebook.com/shawn.wilcoxen/videos/10153146520961470/?l=3977221457388493624

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I am at my parents flat for chirstmas. At work a week earlier, had a "hippe"-theamed x-mas party.

Ugh, that sounds terrible. We've never done any kind of caroling or anything like that.

Same here.

Usually during the x-max and new year holidays I learn/parctice things that I don't do every day like web development, a pity attempt to draw, things ect.

Merry Christmas to all. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement