🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Google / YouTube: Horrible, Buggy, Unreliable Functions

Started by
9 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 8 years, 9 months ago

I have several completely different YouTube accounts that I have used on several different computers and different Internet providers. The same buggy problems occur in using YouTube functions. This has been happening for years - no matter what browser I use.

The latest problem is: When I use the notifications function, I can no longer get to the exact reply to my previous comment by another username. I can use the notification bell symbol in the top right of the page to get to the video, but as of today I can not view the exact reply to my previous comment. Yesterday and for years previously, I could. There have been many other bugs in using YouTube over the years for me.

Uhhhhgggg!

Maybe this is one of the reasons why so many people have moved to Facebook?

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

Youtube's comment section has historically been a mess. As I recall it did not have working chronological order for quite a while, and it got even more broken during the Google+ transition...

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Maybe this is one of the reasons why so many people have moved to Facebook?

Another very big reason is that facebook provides more tools for filtering out assholes.

YouTube comment sections are one of the least friendly places on this earth.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Honestly, I believe that apart from search everything else google does is just a bit crap...

Honestly, I believe that apart from search everything else google does is just a bit crap...

Really? What standard are you using to judge Google?

That bar must be very high indeed

Google is a genuinely innovative company ... you can't compare with the old beast - Microsoft

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

My one counterargument would be gmail/inbox. It's still years ahead of all the other web-based email systems.

On balance, however, I agree. They do a lot of fancy 'moonshots', but their consumer software is mostly just not as polished as competing offerings (Google Docs versus Microsoft Office, iOS and Windows Phone versus Android, etc), even if the core functionality may at times be ahead of the competition.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

My one counterargument would be gmail/inbox. It's still years ahead of all the other web-based email systems.

On balance, however, I agree. They do a lot of fancy 'moonshots', but their consumer software is mostly just not as polished as competing offerings (Google Docs versus Microsoft Office, iOS and Windows Phone versus Android, etc), even if the core functionality may at times be ahead of the competition.

I'd disagree with Gmail I think it sucks. I have a gmail account and a hotmail account. I originally intended for gmail to be my preferred account and my hotmail to be my junk account but I ended up switching because I was sick of gmails style over substance.

As for the OPs bug. I suppose this can be expected since Google wanted everybody to access all its services from a single G+ account. Now of course they are dropping G+ so I can expect this to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Agree re: Android, but I'm not sure it's fair to compare Docs and Office.

One is a free online tool, the other is a full featured desktop office suite with all kinds of bells and whistles. Office has some great features that are a godsend when you really need them, but for the average user who just wants to write a simple document or do a few calculations, Docs is actually easier to use.

At work, we have Office and most of the time, I still just use Docs. For a start, two people can edit the same document at once.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

For a start, two people can edit the same document at once

I was more referring to the browser-based Office 365 suite, than the desktop versions.

For a start, two people can edit the same document at once

I was more referring to the browser-based Office 365 suite, than the desktop versions.

Ahh, right. Haven't used that, so can't comment on it.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement