Advertisement

What's available in terms of motion-controllers, and how accurate are they?

Started by August 20, 2015 03:13 PM
10 comments, last by d000hg 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm currently working on a virtual reality game where you are in control of a wizard and use your own hands to cast spells. You can throw fireballs (and other spells) at zombies by moving your hand through space. We're using the Leap Motion hardware device with a VR faceplate mount. I'm designing the game around the VR platform and the Leap Motion controller, but I am also supporting standard mouse, keyboard and monitor, and any combination of hardware configurations.

The leap motion hardware device does have some limitations which I don't know how to work around. The biggest one is character locomotion. Using just your hands in 3D space, how do you instruct your character to walk forward or turn, in a way which is fast, responsive and intuitive to players? I don't know. Nobody seems to know.

What I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on are the two hand held VR controllers coming out from Oculus and Valve. You still get hand positional tracking, but you also get button controllers which can be used to layer on input controls. The wii mote was just the beginning for what's coming down the pipeline ;)

Thanks - sensor drift is the term I didn't know about :)

Slayemin, I'm following your project with interest. In the tennis game I reference, they use the mini-joystick on the Wii nunchuck with your thumb to move you around the court. Not really the same situation you're in, since you presumably need both hands :)

Maybe some kind of 4-way foot-rocker switch is what's needed, or tilting your head?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement