Advertisement

What Turns Something Into A 'Meme' ?

Started by August 15, 2015 05:50 AM
6 comments, last by TheComet 9 years, 2 months ago

We have all seen tons of memes on the internet, but have you ever stopped and considered what made that "something" a meme ?
Most of the time a meme can be a funny/cute/odd/ironic image with text, yet other times there is no apparent reason why something became meme material.

What is your theory about how something becomes a meme ?

I_Made_A_Meme.jpg

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I also never got behind where memes come from. The only place I know them from is 9gag.com but that's about it.

I really hate it when people complain when using the "wrong" meme, and I am just like "You have some sort of brain damage?"

How something becomes a meme? Maybe it is just popularity? The more people use it... well the more people use it and that whats makes them a meme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Advertisement

The only place I know them from is 9gag.com but that's about it.

There's tons of places just like 9gag in terms of "meme" content, although I never liked 9gags community.

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

In the dark corners of the net... there exists a being.

not quite man, not quite machine.

He was born inside the net.

He has accounts on all forums. He is the moderator of at least 10 reddit channels. He's personal friends with Tom on Facebook. He can exceed the character limit on Twitter.

With one twitch of his mechanical wrist, he simultaneously creates and posts a new meme as a response to 10 different forum threads.

And now that I've told you..

I must find a place without the internet..

All it has to do is spread effectively and contain elements that make it seem like a 'meme' (be humorous, maybe in form of picture+text etc)

For it to spread effectively, people must find it as their best tool to express themselves. Memes often being basically jokes makes them extra effective because people look for opportunities to make jokes, so the desire to apply memes originates from the existence of the meme itself. But like all jokes, effectiveness is lost once its repeated enough.

o3o

78e50c8812bdba7f35599fb002e49850e60c35f4

Shogun.

Advertisement

All it has to do is spread effectively and contain elements that make it seem like a 'meme' (be humorous, maybe in form of picture+text etc)

For it to spread effectively, people must find it as their best tool to express themselves. Memes often being basically jokes makes them extra effective because people look for opportunities to make jokes, so the desire to apply memes originates from the existence of the meme itself. But like all jokes, effectiveness is lost once its repeated enough.

No, memes have been around since before images were common on the internet.

#t=3m22s

They're simply a piece of easily transferable (by information or physical act) culture.

If you think about it, memes can provide a tool for expressing emotions at a level that cannot be reached with words alone. While most memes are usually funny, some of them can get really deep and meaningful.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement