Advertisement

hi all developers

Started by August 14, 2015 09:22 AM
35 comments, last by irn4l 9 years ago

i want to ask all developers when they are going to start developing real cash economy model business games only?

Well there are already developers who make such games, they're just not called games, but sure, they are certainly games .. stock market investment tools ... sports betting tools (they are about games) ... poker machine games (hey they are actually games). So yeah, what you're suggesting isn't anything new. And plenty of games use 'real cash' to trade assets. Maybe you are thinking of a very specific style of application / game, or maybe you're trying to think of a novel approach to presenting and marketing a game. Who knows.

Advertisement

Hi,

I consulted a businessman on exactly that category of games a couple years ago. He was too busy to complete the startup process, but promised that if he ever got the time he would love to finish it. I made a nice consulting income from it and he was 100% satisfied with my advice. Someday, I myself would like to make such business oriented games.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

i want to ask all developers when they are going to start developing real cash economy model business games only?

I'd like to understand the question better, including the reason for asking the question. I have reservations about the question and whether it's serious enough for being in the Business forum - for one thing, "all developers" are absolutely not going to be involved in making games of any one genre to the exclusion of all other genres. And if the question is asked out of mere idle curiosity, then it's more properly a Lounge topic. If irn4| is asking because he or she has an idea for such a game, then it would be enlightening and interesting to make a conversation around the idea, and it ought to take place in Game Design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

the genre of games im talking about is the most common pc games we play at our homes, role playing games, first person shooters, action combat rpgs, massive online multiplayers battle arenas, all those games that are seen as "toys" but the truth is that these games require too much time of a person life to be mastered/concluded and can be played at a professional level for eternity.

since a online game of this genre have such an potential to be played for so long and people satisfied with it playing it, i suggest all these games to turn into real cash economy, every single one in the market, where players can manage their finances in game and real life, and game economy itself becomes the income of the game production since it will be a virtual currency with a real value for both players and company. not just in one way where we gamers, pay real money to get in-game currency thats worthless in the opposite direction, it is an inexistent direction. one cant even get any money back if you regret to spend it in game now that something came up in life that i was not expecting, only in online gaming money disapears like that, its vanished once there. i buy shoes i can return them. i buy something in these games, puff...

everybody knows that to play such long games a players must have a dedication to the game, it is much time consuming to just progress in a game, players have to give a tremendous commitment to the game, they have to be active, they have to practise the game, they have to work their way around game to get better stuff for their avatar or whatever, and companies just try to get money from people who do that, who do that effort, who have that commitment and dedication. they sell the game so cheap to the ones with money and give so harsh conditions to the ones without money that it looks like a big joke in the end, completely ridiculous, completely discriminatory.

with real cash economy people with money have more where to spend, and people without money get some money so they can spend. people with money saves time, people with time saves money. then its all investments we all choose to make in the game or outside the game.

Thanks for coming back and explaining a little more what you are thinking of, but your question still needs restating.
Also, I don't think this is a Business question, so I'm moving it to The Lounge.

Advertisement

im asking the developers, the ones that make the games when they are going to start producing just real cash economy busniess model games because its the only fair enough business model for online gaming. developers must change it. im tired of this ridiculous free to play market that its all corruption and schemes to lure people to spend money, people that just plays free to play games exactly because they dont have money to spend in online games. its in developers hands to make the change, to take the step and change the gaming universe.

its in developers hands to make the change, to take the step and change the gaming universe.

Actually, no. It's in the publishers' hands (including developers who self-publish). But really, the publishers can't control how the market works. Look at the music industry, how it's been changing - look at the TV/cable industry, how it's changing - look at book publishing, how it's changing. These changes are not being controlled by any party. People try different business models all the time, to try to keep up with the changes forced by the technological changes and changing tastes.

While most people would agree - the "free to play" business model is getting old - most players are becoming aware of this fact too. "Free to play" usually translates to players now as either "pay to not play" or "pay to not wait" or "pay to win". My 60 year old mother is already aware of the scam and doesn't bother with the free-to-play games, so I imagine most other people are starting to ignore them too. A lot of the companies producing these games dedicate the majority of their budget to advertising for games that are just blatant knock-offs of better games.

The rest of your question is confusing though. You think that real cash should be used as in-game currency or what? I believe Second Life does something like that. It's definitely not for everyone. While it's true - getting people to invest money in something will make them value it more, the same is true about investing time. A cash-economy game would really only work for a portion of game styles. It can work for Second Life because it's primarily a social/creative game. In-game currency can motivate people to spend out-of-game time creating content to sell in-game. It really only works for MMOs as well - and the cost to create an MMO is quite massive, so you're unlikely to find any small/medium firms or indies developing one of any real quality.

One of the major hurdles of equating in-game currency to cash is security. If someone hacks your account, they can now steal what is essentially real money. Of course you'd also have 100s of hackers trying to get into your databases and people's accounts. Even large companies don't want to deal with that headache.

you guys need to play entropia universe, the perfect example of a real cash economy game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement