Advertisement

Are you interested in writing game engines?

Started by August 03, 2015 09:40 PM
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone! :)

First let me introduce myself...

I am 18 years old and interested in game development since a few years. I want to become a better programmer in terms of architecture and I want to be able to take as much as possible from the programming languages I am using. The forum looks like a great place where I can help my growth.

Honestly I was hoping to find someone with interests simular to mine. At the moment me and my friend are planning to create a very interesting game written in C++ and OpenGL. It's a 3D fantasy open world! The idea is not yet fully developed, so we would like someone who likes to let his imagination run wild, loves to program and wants to get better and of course wants to create an incredible quality game.

The plan for now is:

1. Create a basic 3D game engine with lighting, terrain collision detection, first person controller and eventually a map editor. The engine has to be easy to use and improve afterwards and has to be well planned, so we won't lose time trying to figure out why isn't the engine doing everything for us.

2. Create a test map with the game engine using the already created actual game models.

3. Create buisness plan - general game idea - genre, main story, etc.. Plan what the alfa release would look like and start working on it. I have a relative who would do that for us and he will also try to find sponsors.

I would absolutely love to have someone to work with, because my friend, who I mentioned, is not a programmer but an artist - creates the models and draws some of the textures.

Let me know what you guys think!

This endever is going to take many years, and be extremly dificult without payed employees.

Before you start on your "engine", first fully flush out your 'game idea', and 'game mechanics'. Most folks who start work on a project without a clear goal, never finish, as they continue to add 'features' and tweek 'game play' elements on the fly ( which is not a good idea ).

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

If you want to create a game, then create a game not an engine, use one of the many available options and skip wasting 5 man years on making an already obsolete sub par engine, there are 100s of them made by people like you, they're all poop, they're great as a Learning tool if you want to make engines, but since you say you want to make a game, do not make an engine, but a game!

cpplus, the reason I'm locking this thread is that the main thrust of your post seems to be to attract teammates. That kind of quest is not permitted in any of our discussion forums - instead, we have a Classifieds section dedicated to helping people connect with one another.
You've gotten a bit of advice so far. You can get more by posting in the appropriate discussion forums - if you want to take part in discussions about what engines, or reasons for making one's own engine, use the For Beginners forum.
For questions about how to attract teammates or obtain funding, use the Business/Law forum.
For questions about project management, see the Production forum.
For questions about game design, use the Game Design forum. (See, there's a logic to the different forums.)
Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement