Advertisement

Windows 10 is hideously ugly, any tips on how to fix?

Started by July 29, 2015 10:59 PM
105 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 2 months ago

For Mac stuff: I more than a little annoyed after finally getting around to upgrading to OS X 10.10, and finding that the "Photos" application auto launches on cameras and memory cards. And there is no blanket "Stop doing that" button. Each and every card and camera I own and connect to this laptop will make this utterly useless application pop up, and make me to click on the disable button for that given card. And that application is is 50MB or something on a solid state drive that is going to fill up fast each and every time I head out to photograph a weekend sports event. Ideally I could walk through things and prune my install down more than it naturally allows me to.

But the space isn't the thing that bugs me the most, it is the "OMG! A new card or camera! Clearly THIS TIME you're going to want to use this software we're going to flash in your face... Right? Right? No? Not this time? Okay, maybe on the next card..." bit that absolutely pisses me off. Also, it is so much fun trying to search for relevant info on the subject too!

THIS.

I use Win 8.1 (forced - it came with the laptop, and due to my work and I need to run I got to use windows). I couldn't imagine how pissed off is people who actually start with 8.0. instead of clicking on start shutdown, it now start, metro, and shutdown button.

what angers me most is that at times, when on metro, there is cool news on the news button(?). clicking on it will automatically made you feel how metro is 'forced down the throat' of desktop users and have no place. after a few times, next time i planned to shutdown but saw interesting news instead, i click back to desktop, start chrome, search for that particular news item, read it there.

- it was faster (trust me)

- it was easier to read

- easier to navigate

there was even times when a cool news item was on the button, i click on it, waiting for it to load, and when the news app loaded, after much scrolling that particular news item is missing. i ended use above option (go back to desktop, search for the news on google).

and if that is 8.1, i really pity for those who forced to use 8.0.

People just want to have the option to uninstall these extra features

Not even that, the option to not have them running probably would be more than enough.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

Also see: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I can't install Siri or AirPlay from my Mac either. And I never use either of those features.

But somehow, the lack of an ability to uninstall this is not making me take up arms against Apple.

I've used a Mac regularly since 2012 and updated reasonably often.. never seen anything like that auto-start, except for iTunes when connecting an iPhone. I don't even get update notifications unless I open the App Store app. Not sure if I disabled something back when I got it...

The real problem with Microsoft is that they seem to be trying to leverage all their users that came on board for something completely different and route us into something we never signed up for. It's like they see Apple and Google making money from something new and just want to move all their old supporters into their new brands, that are completely unrelated to what a desktop OS was ever for.

Regular Windows is not even the worst of it... in Microsoft's standard installed Skype I get ads like "I made $4971 in one week ONLINE!" ... and their app store is ridiculously riddled with scams. I can get pretty seriously ad-ware infested on Win7 and see less crap than on the Windows Store.

It's sad really, considering they were in the perfect situation to actually build something good by looking at Apple and Google and avoiding the mistakes, but instead they created something completely amateurish and rushed. I've always liked Microsoft and I even got a Windows Phone a few years ago, and a Surface too, but I certainly won't be getting another one.

Exactly. If these new features were good enough to stand on their own, they wouldn't need to force them on us. The 'free' upgrade feels not like a new OS, but like a malware ladened 'freemium' version.

As you lured me into reading TV Tropes already, here is a better link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase

If these new features were good enough to stand on their own, they wouldn't need to force them on us.

Are they really forcing them on you though? You don't have to take the free upgrade.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

If there is a huge bundle and someone needs one thing in it, it can legitimately feel like being forced to accept unwanted things for that person.

If these new features were good enough to stand on their own, they wouldn't need to force them on us.

Are they really forcing them on you though? You don't have to take the free upgrade.

Its called malware when 18 toolbars are packed along with a 'free' app, but when MS does it its not?

Its called malware when 18 toolbars are packed along with a 'free' app, but when MS does it its not?

Sure, but that bears no relation to what I was saying: you aren't being forced to update just because you can do so for free.

Additionally, in this case the features being discussed are being advertised as some of the (if not the) major selling points of the product, which is a little different to an unrelated toolbar/utility/whatever being bundled with a piece of software. If you don't want to use the features that's fine -- I probably won't use them either -- and maybe the software as a whole simply isn't for you at this time, but that's more like not wanting to use the iso mounting feature provided by a DVD burning package than not wanting an unrelated toolbar installed into your web browser by some piece of software.

For the record I think it would be fantastic if these features were removable for those who don't want them, but I think a comparison to bundled malware is inaccurate, and I don't think "forced upon" is the right term for a free update you can simply decline to install.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Sure, but that bears no relation to what I was saying: you aren't being forced to update just because you can do so for free.

Additionally, in this case the features being discussed are being advertised as some of the (if not the) major selling points of the product, which is a little different to an unrelated toolbar/utility/whatever being bundled with a piece of software. If you don't want to use the features that's fine -- I probably won't use them either -- and maybe the software as a whole simply isn't for you at this time, but that's more like not wanting to use the iso mounting feature provided by a DVD burning package than not wanting an unrelated toolbar installed into your web browser by some piece of software.

For the record I think it would be fantastic if these features were removable for those who don't want them, but I think a comparison to bundled malware is inaccurate, and I don't think "forced upon" is the right term for a free update you can simply decline to install.

You can decline to install until support for Windows 7 runs out... Not to mention you miss all the kernel upgrades and DX12. Windows 10 'home' edition is Windows 'freemium' edition, you can't deny that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement