Advertisement

What's your job and dream?

Started by May 22, 2015 08:27 AM
28 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 9 years, 3 months ago

What company/ titles? smile.png

Ubisoft Paris / Just Dance (among others)

Current: started a company with a friend about one and half years ago, we create customized software solutions, not related to games.

Dream: make my own games and live of those, I want to do that as soon as possible, but it'll probably be at least a year from now.

Advertisement
Current:
Developer in the e-mail backend division of a company.

Dream:

I really love my job, it has loads of heavy network and perfomance requirements, which I like a lot. But as for my game developer dream I wish I could be a developer and game designer in some competitive RPG-like game (World of Warcraft PVP or Dota, for instance). No need for huge company or millions of dolars, an active and passionate community is all that I would require.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Current: senior domain administrator for a government organization. Real backroom, behind-the-scenes IT stuff; making sure that the plumbing works and stays working.

Dream: pretty much same as what I'm doing right now. It keeps me interested, there's always something new or interesting, you never stop learning, and even though you're not publicly visible there is a huge sense of job satisfaction in it for me. While I enjoy development, I wouldn't do it as a job: I've tried my hand at that before and know more than well enough that a more formalized development role doesn't sit easy with the way I work nor with what I like doing.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Current:

Work as an intern software engineer for an industry leading EDA (Electronic design automation) tools developer. At the same time I am currently a student studying Game Development at University.

Dream:

Work as an engine/tools programmer in the game industry.

where do you want to be in what time period?

And here I was all excited that this would be about what historical era we'd prefer to live in...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
:)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

where do you want to be in what time period?

And here I was all excited that this would be about what historical era we'd prefer to live in...
Early 1980s 8 bit gamedev era, when one man could make a multi million game and be famous for it. With a time machine and 2015 knowledge we could all be rich! :lol:

Back on topic though, I currently work as both IT manager and lead software developer of a small IT team for an engineering company. It also involves a lot of development work, maintaining and updating a Frankenstein system to keep it up to date and functioning. I would say my job is about half and half coding and management.

I do really like my job but my long term dream would be to not have to do paid work, to spend my time with my kids and a bit of time doing gamedev as a hobby, as I do now.

Current job -> Junior game programmer for a small mobile game company.

Dream Job -> Working in any professional game studio and learning how to architect game engines and organize large codebases from the masters. My biggest problem is that I've never got "mentored" in the art of computer programming. My university lecturers were unqualified, and the curriculum was laughable (A couple of semesters ago, we were learning DirectX8 and ActionScript 2, and by learning, I mean independently opening 5 PowerPoint slides that contains the history of the aforementioned technologies). I learned a lot on my own, but it would never be the same as apprenticing under an actual veteran.

Current -> I'm working in a company that develops a ray-tracer and a fluid sim.

Dream -> Develop and support a "game engine" that I will sell/(or a sell support for it) and make games with it form time to time(Something like EPIC Games but with more games).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement