Advertisement

Apparently, Game Devs Are Considered Non-Threatening to US National Security at All

Started by April 25, 2015 10:00 AM
12 comments, last by SeraphLance 9 years, 4 months ago
I would like to share an interesting story about my past two visits to American Institute in Taiwan (AIT).
For people in Taiwan to study or work in the US, they need a student visa or a work visa. Visas are acquired by interviewing with an official at one of the two AIT offices. Luckily, one of them is very close to where I lived in Taipei.
I went to AIT to get my student visa for DigiPen in 2011, as well as my work visa stamp for Naughty Dog in 2015. My experience with both visits told me that, apparently, game devs are considered non-threatening to US national security at all.
My Student Visa (2011)
This was my first time interviewing at AIT by myself. When I had visited the US with my family before this, it was my parents who did the talking at the interviews for visitor visas.
As I got in line at the AIT office, I started practicing the interview in my head, trying to prepare my self with acceptable answers for various possible questions related to national security. When I got closer to the interview booths, I tried to eavesdrop on the interviews to get a better idea on what sort of questions were asked.
For many people before me, they were asked tons of security questions, and a few of them got rejected. As I heard more questions and saw people getting rejected, I became more and more nervous.
Then, it was my turn.
I went up to the booth, and the interviewer took my documents.
"You're going to study in the US?"
"Yes, sir."
"This school. DigiPen. What are you studying there?"
"Making video games."
"Oh? What type of games do you play?"
"...Sorry?"
"I said what type of games do you play?"
"Uh...mostly action games and platformers."
"Really? Like what?"
"Well...like the Assassin's Creed series...and the Uncharted series."
"Ah. I've never got to play Assassin's Creed, but I play a lot of Call of Duty."
"Um...I'm not that into shooters."
"I see. You should try."
"I did play some shooters, but not much."
"Okay. I see. Thank you."
Then the the interviewer stamped my passport and gave me my documents.
"So...." I was confused.
"You're good to go! The exit is right over there."
That was the entire interview. Not a single national-security question asked.
My Work Visa Stamp (2015)
After leaving DigiPen in April 2014, I started working at Naughty Dog in May 2014 without leaving the US. For the first few months, I was working under Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is an extension program that allows new grads to stay and work in the US for a year, with a possible 17-month extra extension.
Work visas are issued en mass around October by lottery. I got my work visa in October 2014 (the chance of getting one was about 50% in 2014). However, I had to get a physical work visa stamp on my passport from AIT if I wanted to leave the US and come back later. I had planned a trip to Korea earlier this year in March, so I had to arrange a visit back to Taiwan after Korea.
Again, I was in line at AIT. This time I was less nervous based on the experience from last time. Then, it was my turn for the interview.
"So you need a work visa stamp, huh?"
"Yes."
"Ooooh. Naughty Dog. I know this company. You guys make video games, right?"
"Yes."
Then the interviewer quickly stamped my passport and returned my other documents.
"Here you go. Have a nice day!"
And that was it. It took me less then a minute, which was unbelievably quick compared to other interviewees.
Apparently, game devs are considered non-threatening to US national security at all.
They probably don't know that some game devs (like Zombie Studios) make serious games for military training purposes. Oh well.

Ming-Lun "Allen" Chou

Physics / Graphics / Procedural Animation
http://allenchou.net

Now for the next visit you should go wearing a turban and carrying a quran in your hands, see how non-threatening you become :)

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement

Now for the next visit you should go wearing a turban and carrying a quran in your hands, see how non-threatening you become :)

Or just be vaguely "muslim looking".

Oh, good for you that you didn't tell them you like to play t-side on counter strike.

Now for the next visit you should go wearing a turban and carrying a quran in your hands, see how non-threatening you become smile.png

This might work:

ShaheedBabaGurbachanSinghManochahal2.jpg

What will you make?

Q: "So what games do you play?"

A: "Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, and Kain & Lynch" *eyes you suspiciously*

Q: "What about Call of Duty?"

A: "I'm not a huge fan of playing on the American side, but I've replayed the No Russian airport level numerous times!"

Advertisement

Oh, good for you that you didn't tell them you like to play t-side on counter strike.

Tell them you're good at ninja-planting ;)

What will you make?
Hey Allen! Hope things are going great at Naughty Dog.

And that was it. It took me less then a minute, which was unbelievably quick compared to other interviewees.

I had a similar-ish (non-games) experience coming through customs from Japan some years ago (a few years after 9/11, so after the super tight TSA stuff was in full swing).

The guy in front of me kept telling the customs officer about all the interesting fruit-based snacks and meat that he had brought with him on the plane, and how he had been out petting goats at a farm, and all the other fun stuff he did that probably got him covered in foreign particulates. The officer was obviously getting exasperated that this guy had apparently managed to hit every single warning checkbox on the customs sheet, confiscated a ton of his stuff, and eventually sent him off to the special line for extra scanning and processing to make sure he wasn't a biohazard.

I walked up next. The officer asked, "You pet any goats?"

"Nope."

*stamp* "Have a nice day."

And that was that. I could've smuggled kilos of contraband and they'd never have known. smile.png

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I had a similar-ish (non-games) experience coming through customs from Japan some years ago (a few years after 9/11, so after the super tight TSA stuff was in full swing).

The guy in front of me kept telling the customs officer about all the interesting fruit-based snacks and meat that he had brought with him on the plane, and how he had been out petting goats at a farm, and all the other fun stuff he did that probably got him covered in foreign particulates. The officer was obviously getting exasperated that this guy had apparently managed to hit every single warning checkbox on the customs sheet, confiscated a ton of his stuff, and eventually sent him off to the special line for extra scanning and processing to make sure he wasn't a biohazard.

I walked up next. The officer asked, "You pet any goats?"

"Nope."

*stamp* "Have a nice day."

And that was that. I could've smuggled kilos of contraband and they'd never have known. smile.png

so...what your saying is....always have an annoying fall guy to take the hit first.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
muwhahahahaha ph34r.png

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement