Advertisement

Room for strategy

Started by March 26, 2015 06:49 PM
15 comments, last by ferrous 9 years, 6 months ago

I think the controller is a big part of it, but at this point there’s also a different built in player base for strategy games and consoles. RTS definitely tend to have issues without keyboard and mouse, but you don’t see turn-based strategy as much on consoles as on PCs either, and the controller is less of an obstacle in that case. I think it's mostly controller and economic factors that cause it, but there's a perception that strategy games are something you play on your PC, not in the living room. Economically, I think it ends up being a problem with limited player bases (limited to everyone who bought that console) that make game companies want to avoid the less accessible genres for the fear that they won’t be able to sell enough copies to break even, especially for exclusives. Even with something like the Wii U controller, which is well suited for certain kinds of strategy games, there’d probably be a relatively small percentage of the already limited set of console owners that’d even be interested in them.

As for MOBAs, they could be successful on consoles, but I wouldn’t classify a MOBA as a strategy game any more than I’d classify a team shooter as a strategy game. There’s an element of strategy in most games, but they don’t have much in common with traditional strategy games other than the fact that DotA was originally made in an RTS game’s engine.

MOBAs enjoy mainstream success because the core gameplay is designed to be accessible and encourages constant action, while traditional strategy games are less accessible, which is why they’re more of a niche genre and therefore less suitable for consoles. MOBA isn't my kind of genre, but it has s a very successful design philosophy for a few reasons. The towers, the creeps, and the leveling system in MOBAs are all meant to ensure that the match lasts a decent amount of time (without turning into a complete stalemate) even if the teams are mismatched in terms of skill level. This works at the casual level because it ensures a minimum playtime, so even a fairly bad team has a chance to play and get practice without being rushed out of the game in the first few minutes.

At the same time, the attrition style of MOBAs also works at a professional esports level because it reduces uncertainty and volatility. Not only does this lead to longer games for viewers, but it makes it less likely that a worse team will beat a better one. It’s the same concept as the law of large numbers, if you think you're the better player, you don’t want the game to be decided on one early fight, but by a lot of fights throughout the game. When the game makes it harder for an unscouted rush to end the game early on, that gives more time for the better team to gain an advantage. That’s why SC2 pros also tend to view long macro games as more legitimate than cheese (rushes) because a less experienced player can still win a few early engagements and take a game, but that same player just won’t out-macro a full time pro without putting in a similar amount of practice.

Hi! I have always felt frustrated that RTS games are not well represented on any console generation, and that's why I felt compelled to make AirMech. In my totally biased opinion, it's the perfect mix of action and strategy for the console audience AND there is zero compromise for using a gamepad because it was designed for it.

http://airmech.com

Old gamers like me might see the core of Herzog Zwei shining through, and that's no accident. RTS with a gamepad was solved more than 2 decades ago, just everyone forgot.

You can play it with mouse and keyboard but I would suggest a 360 controller on the PC, or wait for the PS4/Xbox One release coming shortly.
Advertisement
Nice game. It has the kind of art I was looking for. But I've never played Herzog Zwei. I hope they put AirMech on the demo reel at stores so I can see more about it. [edit] Seems more like a shoot-em-up.

Watching some commentated games is probably the best way to get an idea of what AirMech is: https://www.youtube.com/user/areyouwhy0x

High level competitive play is pretty intense. It looks like full action, but what you might not realize at first if you haven't played it is that players are choosing what units to build and deploy, where to deploy them, and giving the commands.

If you play it yourself and you're just learning, I'd suggest Survival to practice the mechanics. It can be very slow and methodical, and you can choose mechs that are better at deploying and moving units than combat if you're after a more tactical experience.

It will be free to play on PS4 and Xbox One, though as per the platform holder rules you will need PSN+ or Xbox Live Gold to play online. (not our decision believe me) You can play the game on PC or Steam right now (in beta) and while the frontend UI is completely different, the core game is identical.

And for anyone who is a strategy/RTS fan who never heard of Herzog Zwei:

It should be properly credited with being one of if not the original RTS, even though the term did not exist at the time. You might look at the game now and not see anything special, but realize when it came out and what it predates. It really is the grandfather of RTS games when you trace back inspiration from designers that went on to make things like Dune 2 and the rest. From Wikipedia:

Herzog Zwei, released for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis home console in 1989, is the earliest example of a game with a feature set that falls under the contemporary definition of modern real-time strategy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_strategy

Your game is nice but I was interested in classic RTS and TBS and city sim because that's what I'm making. I'm interested in strategy games with buildings and resources and economics. I realize I can't have that but I wanted to see what was available. Thank you for enlightening me about the origins of RTS though. It is the first sky-perspective action game with multiple actors/agents.

If you want classic RTS, why look on console? There's so much variety on PC, and I don't believe you can get the classic experience without using a mouse/keyboard and having a very PC-centric UI system. I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I've seen many many millions spent on games trying and failing to do that.

I still like my classic RTS games but I'd only consider playing them on PC.

Advertisement

Whoo, @CarbonJames I've been evangelizing Herzog Zwei forever, and I'm excited to see AirMech make it to the Xbone. They both have resources and a little bit of economics to them, but they're muted/simplified compared to something like Starcraft or Kohan.

Re polyfrag, the last attempt at an RTS for the consoles was probably the Halo RTS, it was a more traditional classic take.

Speaking of Kohan, it's style of gameplay could probably be brought to a console. The APM required is low, the UI could probably be adapted fairly easily, as one is only building a city once, then selecting modules to be built in the city, no fiddling to make sure your supply depot is 4 tiles away from your barracks so that your tanks can fit through, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement