Advertisement

Meeting other programmers is easy but meeting people with clothes making skill isn't...

Started by February 04, 2015 09:48 PM
9 comments, last by BloodOrange1981 9 years, 7 months ago

After years of wandering about the internet and finding quite a few places to talk about gamedev, programming, movies making, photography, 3d art creation, sketching etc I'm really having trouble finding online communities for fashion making.

I have no sewing skills, or know much about patterns or fabrics. I have no intention of learning more than I absolutely have to as time is a finite resource. I'm looking for quirky, skilled people with a love for Bladerunner, Star Wars, 80s cyberpunk to bounce ideas off and work with on a project. I thought it would be easy to find people after taking the dozens of tech people and hobbyists I meet online for granted.

Does anyone have any ideas of a good place to look for such people? I've asked around in my network of friends and mainly come up with people's middle aged relatives who can sew trousers. Not the kind of people I can work with. Skilled and nice people I'm sure but we all know about the "vibe" we need on a project, hobby or serious.

I'm going mad searching!

Talk to people who do cosplay, they might know some resources where they get their costume done.

etsy.com is also a marketplace for people with the aforementioned skills. So if you do find an artist that fits what you need, maybe you can contact him/her for a custom art?

Advertisement

I would think you'd have much better luck looking for some 'cosplay' people than sewing people.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Amusing - personally I think I have more friends who do fabric arts than I have friends who would attempt game programming.

But yeah, what the above posters said - you want to find a cosplay community. But you're not going to get someone to actually sew stuff for you unless you're hiring them on commission with $.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Do we have 3D printers for clothes yet? If not... I sense a market.

Is their a StackExchange site relevant to this stuff?

Advertisement
You might also try looking for LARP (live action role play) communities. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

All gold advice, thanks a lot. I think I'll probably find someone with the same goals as me in Cosplay communities, especially if their full time gig is in clothes.

I think I will look around on DeviantArt too, as their community has a lot of assorted crafts people

It actually seems that searching on Twitter is a GOLDMINE of people involved in costume/fashion design. I guess these kind of SN tools are more widespread among lite-tech users

Another place to look is film/theatrical costume designers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement