Advertisement

Do you play your own games? Do you make games just for yourself?

Started by January 29, 2015 09:03 PM
10 comments, last by latch 9 years, 7 months ago

The RTS thread reminded me about my old RTS project, which got about as far as something one could call a real RTS but only just - scripting missions by hand in XML, the crummiest of A.I possible. But what I loved was the idea of being able to make an RTS I wanted to play - all the classic RTS games of the time had fairly small things missing which I was convinced would be awesome.

My ideas grew to loads of stuff I haven't seen in games but I never even started on those things - however I dug out an old copy of my game a few months ago and was surprised to find I actually quite enjoyed playing it even though the graphics were buggy and the sound didn't work.

To those of you awesome enough to have made full games for sale/work, do you play your own games?

Do any of you make games just because you want to play that game and nobody else has made it yet?

To those of you awesome enough to have made full games for sale/work, do you play your own games?

Obviously I play them during development (because if you aren't, you're probably doing it wrong). I've always played the games I worked on for a while just after launch, riding the sort of launch rush and community engagement (especially for Guild Wars 2). But usually quickly after that I lose interest, mainly due to burnout. It took about a year after I quit ArenaNet before I wanted to play Guild Wars 2 again, and that pattern has more-or-less been the same throughout my entire career.
Do any of you make games just because you want to play that game and nobody else has made it yet?

Yeah. I only work on games I'd want to play, even when I'm not directly working the game itself (and instead the tools, or engine, or whatever). Otherwise I find that I can't marshal enough interest to really do well.
Advertisement
Most games I created before I owned a pc were only ever played by myself.

This was because I didn't have any kind of Internet connection and the number of people with a computer like my own was very small and forever declining.

This changed once I moved to PC and my first PC games were quite popular at college. I still played them to death myself though because I was invested in them and I could hardly create a game I didn't enjoy myself, otherwise what would be the point? :)

I play test everything, HOWEVER is is very boring playing my own games "for fun", due to the fact I know all the game mechanics .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pretty much the reason I enter the hard world of game development.

The western SRPGs are too simple for my taste and the japanese ones are too grindy.

I decided to stop complaining and give a effort to make my own SRPG with a robust system and good level and game design that don't have grind.

So far, development have been going very well so I am glad I make that decision a year ago.

The only reason I had to learn how to make games was because no one was going to make the games I wanted to play because there wasn't a big enough market. I had one game where the engine was more or less finished, depending on how you evaluated the AI with regard to functioning properly, but I burned out on the content. Its funny because technically since I started with a functioning open source RTS the game functioned from day 1. Just all the new features weren't active.

Advertisement

I'm a hobbyist, so: I make games usually for myself. Bonus points if someone else likes them :)

Usually I cannot see a game anymore after the final phase. But there are the rare occasions where I do like to replay. It highly depends on the kind of game though. Randomized/procedural things have a better personal replay rate than strict designed ones.

It's however quite nice to return to a self made game after a few years.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Given the large amount of playtesting that may be needed, choosing a game one likes to play seems like an important requirement unless it's a trivial project.

I only bother with games I'd like to play (writing for fun, not work), though the risk is that all the playtesting means I end up being bored of it by the end of it. However I have come back to enjoy playing them later.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Dont get High on your own Supply.

Obviously you need to play what you make while you are making it, but forgetting that, Final Fantasy XV will be the first game I have developed that I will also play once it is released. In fact it will be the only reason I will buy a PlayStation 4.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement