Advertisement

Android Lollipop unrevealed.

Started by October 16, 2014 09:18 AM
13 comments, last by _mark_ 9 years, 10 months ago

Oh joy, another round of the Android Incompatibility Game.... </jaded android developer>

This. The L preview was not nice to our games. Now that it is actually going to come out soon we have to do the 'stupid hacks for new Android version' song and dance.

reminds of a famously bad browser Google fan boys liked to hate on. Surely they should all be switching to windows phone by now...

Almost everyone I know who has ever upgraded an android phone has basically had to buy a new phone or stick with a partially bricked one.

Google fan boys liked to hate on

Never heard that term but hear often "Mac freaks" or "Wirows users"

Updating my Xperia was a pain in the ass though, might get a Ubuntu phone in the near future.

Advertisement

Almost everyone I know who has ever upgraded an android phone has basically had to buy a new phone or stick with a partially bricked one.

Updating my Xperia was a pain in the ass though, might get a Ubuntu phone in the near future.

That's the awesome thing about Nexus phones - updating them is painless and they always get the updates long before other phones do. They're also absurdly easy to mod if you want a custom ROM. As far as phones go, they're also pretty decent and very well priced. So far I've had a Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and a Nexus 5 and I intend to get a Nexus 6 at some point (though my N5 is still performing well and is still in mint condition even after 8 months of use).

I have been hearing that over Android Lollipop, Hangout application isn't the default SMS application rather than something different seems to be coming out can anyone confirm this ?? I wonder why Google is retiring Hangout out ?? ...lol...

Was it ever the default application for SMS? I'm still using Android Messaging on my Nexus 4, and quickly locked Hangouts from using SMS. I don't want any confusion over whether I'm sending a free message to a friend down in the US, or getting dinged 75 cents a pop, and one of the easiest ways to do that in my mind is to clearly have a difference in apps for a given task.

Awww... that means you keep yourself holding on to the stock messaging app rather than Hangouts, great ! Anyway if I talk about myself then I have migrated towards Hangouts and would love to use Hangouts way more than stock messaging app.

John Farrell

Technical Consultant

Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

I'm glad the Nexus 6 has a 64GB option since they don't have expandable storage - it's now a viable option for my next phone (I was considering the Note 4), but it's unclear how long we'll have to wait for a UK release.

As a developer, I'm looking forward to the new camera API (yes it means having to update my code to cope, but that shouldn't be a reason to not want updated APIs).

Never known anyone having problems updating to new versions of Android. Yes there are occasionally stories in the media, you get this with all platforms.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement