Advertisement

The Point and Click Jam...

Started by September 30, 2014 09:04 AM
6 comments, last by Reverend Speed 9 years, 11 months ago

... does anybody know if there's a forum or something for this?

Been a while since I looked into adventure game development and adventuredevelopers.com appears to be down. Was hoping to have a jaw with some adventure-minded folks afore the jam.

All the best,

--Rev

It sounds like good fun!

I do wish there'd been some set of graphics elements we could all use as a starting point, so us programmers could concentrate on code and story.

Advertisement

Shared art assets is a cool concept for a game jam.

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Tell me about it! :P Would be a fun time for artists!

At one jam i went to in the past(toJam), they had an art asset that everyone would try to fit in(a goat iirc). we used it as the big baddies particle emitter attack sprite.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

...yikes, didn't see that anybody had responded until just now. =)

Would there be any point in everybody uploading graphics into a central archive of sorts as the games are built? Two weeks seems like a decent length of time to build assets, though I'm not sure how people would react when the find the same assets used over and over in the jam. Then again, nobody complains about actors taking different roles...!

I'm planning on doing something in Unity (C#) and Blender (modelling and animation). At this stage I don't see any problems with sharing actors, props, etc. Will look into it.

Two weeks is a fairly short time for adventure development, I'd imagine. I'm looking at something like 6 Day Assassin or RebirthReaper as a model for the amount of content to aim for. Always have trouble scoping for jams - more learnding required, I guess. =)

Any ideas floating around? I've got nothing at the moment, but I'm just trying to avoid the kleptomaniac student/tourist/princess/psychic detective clichés... Would be nice to do something Breaking Bad-like (in tone and atmosphere, if not topic). Something from current affairs, etc.

Just noodling around...

Advertisement

Almost forgot - for those looking for assets, there's always opengameart.org. Lots of character and setting assets there, especially here and here. There's also 3D assets available on the site - that should cover most programmers w/out artwork or a starting point.

Apparently the rules of the jam will be changing soon... might be worth checking into the site tomorrow...

Time to start thinking up my entirely original tale of tourists discovering a historical conspiracy in an urban fantasy setting complete with psychic detectives, zombies and pirates.

WHAT A STARTLINGLY NOVEL IDEA!

Potentially worth pointing out that the jam now has it's own forum at http://pointandclickjam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

All the best,

--Rev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement