Advertisement

Calling hardware gurus - which would you say is better?

Started by September 20, 2014 10:04 PM
23 comments, last by Bacterius 9 years, 11 months ago
There is no reason I need one of those two. Yes both are horrible. But I do HAVE to buy from Amazon, because that's where my credit is. And it's easy to say a $399 computer would be just as good, but good luck finding one. I was really surprised how little you can get on just under $800.

Good so we're back to a better question which is "i have a 800$ budget, amazon only, help me pick a computer". Now what do you actually want to do on that computer? "Game development" isn't a task, what SPECIFICALLY are you planning to do? Are you Learning or are you already doing game dev? Do you have an engine / type of game in mind? Do you have target hardware in mind for redistribution?

For example if you're going to work with a large C++ code base then compile time may matter, if you're doing C# work they don't and suddently SSD/cpu will matter less, leaving more budget on the gpu etc etc.

We just need a lot more info about what you want to do when you're on it to help you pick the right one.

Also there's portable and portable, are you going to move it around or is it a desktop replacement portable that will hardly ever move? How about battery duration, when you use it outside do you it for extended periods or not?

For example if you're going to do 2D games in C# then i don't see much diference between the low resolution one you linked and this one at 240$ (really, you won't feel much of a diference at all in practice, certainly not worth a 3.5X price jump)

http://www.amazon.com/15-6-Inch-Dual-Core-2-16GHz-Laptop-500GB/dp/B00L49X8E6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1411353179&sr=1-2#productDetails

I'm not saying you should pick that at all, just that we need a lot more info about your use case but those 2 choices you gave us seem like, honestly, a pretty bad deal for any use case i can think of game dev related / price ratio.

Advertisement
I'm slightly art oriented as far as usage goes (will probably be using Photoshop in the near future for some experiemts), and will only dabble in programming that doesn't involve creation/authoring systems sometimes. I'm just more likely to choose something like Game Maker or Unreal for my next game as opposed to something a little more down and dirty.

I do want portability. I might have to move my equipment some time. However, I am now thinking of something new. I can't just stick my head in a hole and ignore reason.

So let's get down to my new idea. I want one of these little machines: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HYEU0C8?cache=e1c843fbc173da7849677ffc587a33fe&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1411360191&sr=8-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2

I will likely being pairing it with what I can afford... A 1920x1080 19" monitor, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive.

However, before you dismiss this, keep in mind it's a quad core 3.2GHz Core i7 with a HD 5200 graphics processor which blows away HD 4400/4600 and can pretty much beat Geforce 840M and also has 128MB eDRAM. It's a start.
Actually, I will be getting one of these to afford 8GB RAM and better storage: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H3YT8CC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_7?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The graphics and CPU are a bit slower than the above one I linked, but it's better than crippling the RAM to cut cost.
Okay, I think I finally know what I'm going to do. You know those small, incomplete boxes I've been linking to? Well I found a Zotac one with a Geforce 860M graphics card. I'm going to pair it with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD and even save money by using Linux - not Windows.

By the way, earlier I said something about a 19" 1920x1080 monitor. Turns out it was a 20" 1600x900.

So here's what I was thinking:

Core i5-4200u box
4GB DDR3 1600 (single channel but oh well)
128GB mSATA
Linux
1600x900 20" monitor

I will probably still get criticized (in an acceptable manner) even with all the part-looking I'm doing, but oh well.

I'm going to pair it with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD

probably be using Photoshop

Good luck. I realize everyone has a budget. In your case it looks like the budget gives a choice between a 128GB SSD or a 1TB HD. For a single disk system, 128GB is almost guaranteed to be insufficient for serious game development tasks. Source resources are large, intermediate files are large, tools are large and resource intensive.

15 years ago a 128GB drive could have been enough. These days it is usually insufficient. For example, many of our machines have a 420GB SSD drive dedicated ONLY the images and audio and scratch files. Looking at my installation I've got over 200GB on the OS drive containing the operating system and compilers and adobe suite and all the other assorted applications.

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm crying right now frob (figuratively, of course). I just can't seem to find the right configuration on my budget. But I do want something, so I will have to pull the trigger on something mildly unacceptable.

Yeah, it can be hard when budget is a concern.

For me personally, I'd rather have a slow but big enough hard drive. Slow is annoying but not an impediment. Slow means a visit to the water cooler while you wait.

Out of space I see as an impediment. It must be fixed before you can work. What will you do if the drive is too small for a certain task? Uninstall your IDE when working on art, then uninstall your art programs when working on code?

**Okay guys I ordered**

I tried to follow suggestions by not going with those laptops and getting more RAM and storage. Here is what I got:

Intel NUC "desktop" box with 2.7GHz quad-thread Core i5
HD 5000 Intel Graphics
8GB RAM
500GB 7200RPM hard drive
20" 1600x900 LED monitor

Seems a reasonable mid-level dev system to me. At least as good as you'd get as your workstation at many companies.

Nothing to be excited about but no terrible gaps either. It'll do everything you need, it just won't be as quick as if you'd spent more money :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement