Advertisement

I'm getting back into game development...

Started by September 14, 2014 01:16 AM
21 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 9 years, 11 months ago
I just wanted to let people know that I'm getting back into game development. I quit it for probably over 6 months due to being burnt out over a falling out with a professional game development school which ended in me resigning from classes. I also got burnt out by all the problems I was experiencing with Windows 8.

So for the last several months, I have acted like a burnt out bum and persued frivolous things with a sharp interest - so long as it doesn't involve game development. In fact, the only reason I've been back here is because a couple of people kind of missed me, but I think I'm going to start taking things just a little more seriously. By the way, I will probably quit Windows. I'm using an Android tablet now and will probably stick to it awhile.

But even if software tools on Android somehow prevent me from making art or doing programming, which I doubt, then I will do design. And the reason I dislike Windows is because it disrupts my workflow. If I get a virus on Windows, it takes half the night to reboot my machine. Whereas rebooting Android takes 10 minutes. It's the little things like that. I will also be taking baby steps at getting back into game development, for now. I did post a game I made one time, here, before I got burnt out... but people seemed too distracted, disinterested, or busy to play it. Which I am okay with.

I just thought I would announce it and you can talk about it if you want. I would post it in chat instead but this is just way too much to type to put there, and I seem to have a few technical issues with Journals.

Oh, and if you want to know what changed my mind... my studies of hardware got me into benchmarks, which got me into indie game/benchmark hybrids on Google Play, and I ended up looking deep inside myself and realizing that the time was right.

Welcome back. :)

Btw, how do you get viruses in your PC?

Advertisement

I seriously don't understand:

1) Why your machine takes half a night to reboot ("virus" is an extremely vague write-off)

2) Why your Android tablet takes 10 minutes to reboot, instead of one

3) Why you think you can make games when you can't even use Windows

4) Why you want to use Android instead of Linux

Also, after fifteen years here, I've seen very few people actually care when a community member actually finished and posted a game. It's a curious duality.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
ok.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

ok.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

ok

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement
Promit, by reboot I mean erasing everything and doing a fresh install. I might have exaggerated slightly about Android even taking 10 minutes doing that. But my Acer Core i7 laptop took about 5 hours.

ok.

ok.

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Unless there is something severely wrong with your laptop it does not take 5 hours to format and reinstall windows. At least, not windows 7, nor windows 8.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Unless there is something severely wrong with your laptop it does not take 5 hours to format and reinstall windows. At least, not windows 7, nor windows 8.

Well, something must have been wrong with my laptop, because I swear it did take that long. How long is it suppose to take?

This one didn't have a DVD drive so Windows was packaged internally on the hdd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement