Advertisement

Game title vs book title

Started by May 27, 2014 01:22 AM
7 comments, last by Anthony Serrano 10 years, 3 months ago
When thinking of a title for a game, I noticed that most of the ones I think of sound more like book tittles than game titles. What makes them different? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I really don't think there are any differences in the names between different types of media. The name doesn't really matter a great deal anyway. If you create something amazing and name it "Piece of shit: The Game" word will still get around that it's fun. Reminds me of the first episode of Dilbert when the manager claims the name creates a great product, not the actual product itself.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Advertisement

I don't think there are any typical patterns or differences either; both types of media have a huge variety, and without additional information just about any title could be either of a book or a game (or for that matter a movie!).

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok, that's a good point (NewVoxel). I was trying to make a game based on the Bible (Inspires by THe Bible mini series) and I thought of the title "Discovering El Shaddai" which seems like a great book title but doesn't quite fit a game. Anyone agree? Suggestions? Tips?

Note: in case your wondering El Shaddai = LORD God Almighty

I thought of the title "Discovering El Shaddai" which seems like a great book title but doesn't quite fit a game.

Why don't you think it fits a game? Doesn't seem out of place at all to me...

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't see much of a difference between "Discovering El Shaddai" and say, "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune". Movies have names like that as well: "Saving Private Ryan", "Saving Mr Banks".

Many games seem to go for the 1-word names (Halo, Battlefield, Braid, Antichamber, etc...), but TV shows do that also (Lost, Psych, Monk, Frasier). Movies also: "Inception", for example.

Some media go for the X of Y names (Band of Brothers (TV), Call of Duty (Game))

Some things go for "The X" type names ("The Matrix", "The One", "The Elder Scrolls")

Some go for "The X of Y" ("The Chronicles of Narnia", "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", etc...). Replace "Narnia" with "Riddick", or "Sherlock Holmes" with "Superman".

There seems to be several naming schemes, but I wouldn't say they are media-specific.

Advertisement

If you create something amazing and name it "Piece of shit: The Game" word will still get around that it's fun.

I remember a similar story from a book about Stan Lee, where he talks about the origins of the title for Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos.

From wikipedia:

"Stan Lee has described the series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos as having come about due to a bet with his publisher, Martin Goodman that the Lee-Kirby style could make a book sell even with the worst title Lee could devise."

Stay gold, Pony Boy.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess I'll stick to the title cuz I can't think of anything else.

Ok, that's a good point (NewVoxel). I was trying to make a game based on the Bible (Inspires by THe Bible mini series) and I thought of the title "Discovering El Shaddai" which seems like a great book title but doesn't quite fit a game. Anyone agree? Suggestions? Tips?

Note: in case your wondering El Shaddai = LORD God Almighty

For what it's worth, El Shaddai already is the title of a game, so to me "Discovering El Shaddai" sounds like a title of a documentary about that game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement