Advertisement

How will you be remembered

Started by May 07, 2014 01:09 AM
6 comments, last by Truerror 10 years, 4 months ago
Do you think people will look back on these decades and look at game devs as we look at painters and philosophers of old?

What will they write about us? "Swedish game dev, lived frugally, didn't make money on his works in his life time, but inspired future indies and created a new genre"

[edit] we are living in historic times! O.o

[edit] maybe the programmers is another movement, like the hippies. "They liked to drink coffee"

The comparison to painters and philosophers dont make any sense to me, as those fields are independent of technology, regardless of photoshop, all artist that I know about know how to paint on paper too. Like tim murray acrylics *¬*

Now when I think about programming, is really something time changes a LOT..it kinda sucks, cause skills valued today may be worthless in a future, contrary to art or philosophy.

There will certainly be a future where we dont need to worry even about algorithms, cause computers will be so powerful that even the most retarded way of doing some task will be computed fast enough. This feeling strikes me like cancer on the stomach, that what I doing now will be meaningless, but them I remember Im mortal, so the feeling changes to pure depression as I dont want to fucking die T__T

Advertisement

Did you ever see "Midnight in Paris"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605783/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

I think that no matter when we are in time, there will be people who long for the simpler time. And years from now, they will long for our time.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Do you think people will look back on these decades and look at game devs as we look at painters and philosophers of old?

Maybe. But I don't think they'll look at gamedevs as VanGogh or Descartes. I think it will be more similar to how we regard the likes of the Wright brothers today. They'll be shocked at what was achieved with (by their standards) primitive technology. We already do this with the likes of Toru Iwatani, who managed to fit 4 separate ai behaviours in a tiny amount of ROM.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

There will certainly be a future where we dont need to worry even about algorithms, cause computers will be so powerful that even the most retarded way of doing some task will be computed fast enough. This feeling strikes me like cancer on the stomach, that what I doing now will be meaningless, but them I remember Im mortal, so the feeling changes to pure depression as I dont want to fucking die T__T

I don't think computers will get much faster, without how we build computers changing.

After the nuclear war, when society is recovering, people will look back on this as history.

Maybe. But I don't think they'll look at gamedevs as VanGogh or Descartes

Yeah, maybe not.

Here's an idea. If http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegel was written about a game dev

X's efforts can be understood as a constructive development within the broad tradition that includes Blizzard and Steam Powered Games. To this list one could add Westwood Studios, Cavedog Entertainment, and Ensemble Studios. What all these game devs share, which distinguishes them from materialists like Epicurus, the Stoics, and Thomas Hobbes, and from empiricists like David Hume, is that they regard freedom or self-determination both as real and as having important ontological implications, for soul or mind or divinity.

I got lazy near the end.

I think it motivates one's thoughts if one sees oneself as part of a greater historical movement. [edit] Let us develop this idea further!

Well, there is another factor at play too. People are generally less interested in the achievements of a group and more of an individual.

An artist working alone is more highly regarded than a team of engineers, even though coordinating a large group working together is arguably a more impressive achievement. Even with groups we tend to single out individuals (Colin Chapman in Formula 1, Carmack for games, etc). That's not to ignore the work those people did, but more to acknowledge that most of them had a team working with them.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Indeed, when groups are involved the individuals are forgotten.

We remember the Pyramids and some people remember the few key kings in involved. We all know about the Great Wall, some people even know names of emperors, but the individuals are lost to history.

For more recent items, we have the Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State Building, and many other monuments. Can you name the key people behind them?

It isn't just tech fields. Can you name all the performers in The Beetles? Who are the members of the Rolling Stones? Led Zepplin? Metallica? The Beach Boys? All of them pioneers and superstars, and known as the collective, but individually not so much.

In games, we might say 'look at how Square keeps defining and re-defining the jRPG genre'. The company did it, we don't look at the individuals. Bungie did something. Blizzard did something. It is the collectives, not the individuals, that we remember for large projects.

In case of Blizzard though, the names Chris Metzen and Samwise Didier comes to mind.

Besides, do you really need to be 'remembered' by people? When we're gone, we're gone. I think it's better to have a fulfilling life than being remembered after we're gone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement