Advertisement

The Streetwear, Sneakers and general fashion choices thread

Started by April 25, 2014 03:14 AM
9 comments, last by BloodOrange1981 10 years, 4 months ago

I was wondering what brands, if any, people like to buy and keep an eye on in the gamedev community?

For me, I'm mainly into street wear stuff like Mishka, Fuct (I like the limited edition tees Mishka do for movies I like such as Robocop, Evil Dead and for bands like Dinosaur jr) etc and for sneakers I mainly buy Nike for both relaxing and skateboarding in.

Apart from that Im really into metal tee shirts and regularly can be seen rocking Slayer, Metallica tees and black jeans, even in the Tokyo summer. I just feel most comfortable like that.

I'm also into accessories like mesh caps, beanies, etc.

I like reasonably well made, comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing that fits well; brand is unimportant to me, meaning I often end up avoiding name brands in favour of more cost-effective options.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

I see.

In my experience I used to discount the point of brands, until I found out that a brand is always paired with a certain level of quality, fabric and construction wise. For example, Supreme stuff is pretty pricey but the sheer quality of the fabric and comfort is worth it. However a lot of the people wearing it buy it solely for the little red box as a cool badge.

With that said, Uni-Qlo and Muji are almost brandless - brands, no logos but the quality of the stuff is great for the pricepoint.

I covet a set of bespoke suits of virgin merino wool paired with fine Italian kid leather shoes. The brand could be any fine men's haberdasher, although a trip to Saville Row may be outside my current budget.

When working on the farm I prefer to sport the usual dungarees from Mr. Levi and an appropriate plaid flannel Calabogie dinner jacket from the Co-op. Rubtuckers ("Wellingtons") keep my feet dry.

On more formal occasions, a nice evening coat over the usual collared shirt and waistcoat, pinstriped trousers, tie or cravat, and accessories (pips, cufflinks, pocket watch, brimmed hat) are my usual choice, often ordered online.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

"Rubtuckers" hahahaha!

That*s probably the single best creative response to a forum post I've ever read.

Now you will probably make me feel like an a**hole for telling me you're not taking the p*ss with your flamboyant (and somewhat awesome) descriptions

Timberland all the way, still rain on my continent.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz
Advertisement
Generally whatever fits, is comfortable, and clean.

It seems nonsensical to buy a brand just for the brand's sake. If they happen to have a specific cut or design that you like, buy the style you feel comfortable in.

I generally wear a plain black t-shirt (I currently own six nearly identical very comfortable plain black T's, wearing them until they get holes or other problems) or one of the collection of print shirts that were primarily given to me. I also generally wear jeans that are comfortable, or denim cargo shorts.

In this industry it is primarily about comfort. Wear what is comfortable that allows you to be creative and exercise your craft. Buy and wear the clothes that are comfortable to you. If you feel more comfortable and productive in a heavily starched white shirt, by all means wear it.

90% of the time, I wear a bathrobe over a white t-shirt and blue jeans - including when I'm in the front or back yard. If going out into public, I drop the bathrobe and toss a button-up over the white tee. I can go from my "work attire" to my "publicly-presentable attire" and be in the car pulling out of the driveway in less than 5 minutes.

When people see me, they don't notice my clothes - at least not at first. Their eyes are drawn first to my dark-brown wild bushy beard, next to my shoulder-length silky hair, third to my handle-bar mustache, and fourth to my 6` 2" height. My non-descript shoes are pretty much the last thing they see. happy.png

I am trying to find a decent belt, though - every belt I get, "genuine leather" or not, seems to break rather easily. It seems by "genuine leather", they mean they put a paper-thin layer of leather over something that amounts to cardboard. rolleyes.gif

It'd definitely true that you pay for quality, but is also absolutely true that you pay for marketing, as well as the "privilege" of being suckered into tiered pricing of "luxury" goods. With companies like Nike with marketing budgets that high, you know at least $30-50 of the shoe is sports licensing fees and advertising costs.

Those brand-less companies you mentioned are more aligned to my interests - if their quality is higher than what I can buy locally or on Amazon.com. Uni-Qlo's online store's belt selection seems like the same poor-quality belts I already have.

I have a strong aversion to clothing with prominent logos -- I'm not going to pay someone else in order to advertise their stuff for them.

Beyond that, it's all about comfort. That usually leads to a T-shirt and jeans. Lately I've started to wear a lot of Izod I guess, but I'm not a brand chaser.

As far as shoes go, I've pretty much worn exclusively Nike or Reebok shoes all my life, for whatever reason.

I'm fond of Airwalk sneakers because it's the only brand that every pair I've bought has been extremely comfortable, stylish, and relatively durable. But I don't follow the various goth and punk brands or the coture designers like I used to when I was in my 20s. I never ended up with a steady income high enough to make a fashion hobby anything other than absurd.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement