Advertisement

Flappy Bird

Started by February 07, 2014 09:46 PM
51 comments, last by _mark_ 10 years, 7 months ago

Is it a fantastic idea though? It's a simple mechanics that has been done to death since arcade machines in 70s and has appeared on mobile devices in tens of iterations.

Any Idea that makes $50,000 a day is a fantastic idea wheather intentionaly or not.

Graphics copied from Nintendo?

So what he's not been sued. He has taken the game down before even recieving a C&D.

Looks similar to other indie mobile games?

Boo hoo nobody is playing the other games they are playing Flappy Bird.

He is gaming the system and putting up fake reviews?

Bullshit. I haven't seen one shred of evidence that this is the case.

Its too simple / Not polished enough.

Sorry but these are the type of game the general public like to play. Sure there are other more mainstream titles on mobile like Xcom, Sims, Bards Tale, Infinity Blade or Epoch but, the big sellers that are played by the mass public are Candy Crush, Fruit Ninja, Doodle Jump, Angry Birds.

Look Flappy Bird has hurt nobody and the only people complaining are other developers who resent its success. I'm not even sure this guy even intended on it getting this big. I think hes is just a young kid learning to make games who decided to shove one of his experimental games on the app / play store only expecting to get a few downloads from friends and family.

Look Flappy Bird has hurt nobody and the only people complaining are other developers who resent its success.

Your big picture broke down here. The dev received death threats, like stuff you might read on the comment section of any popular webpage. This means he was hurt, and in all likelihood he was hurt by anonymous players of his game playing pranks instead of anonymous developers.

I've read about the idea guy. It's a serious misnomer. You really want to avoid the lazy team.

Advertisement

Look Flappy Bird has hurt nobody and the only people complaining are other developers who resent its success.

Your big picture broke down here. The dev received death threats, like stuff you might read on the comment section of any popular webpage. This means he was hurt, and in all likelihood he was hurt by anonymous players of his game playing pranks instead of anonymous developers.

I should have explained myself a little better here. I meant that Dong himself hadn't hurt anybody else by releasing Flappy Bird.

Even if it would be the best game ever invented, the hype around it is still just pure madness.

Good on Dong, I don't care if he would become a multi billionaire from the game, but the overall hype gets me a bit worried about humanity in general...

Even if it would be the best game ever invented, the hype around it is still just pure madness.

Good on Dong, I don't care if he would become a multi billionaire from the game, but the overall hype gets me a bit worried about humanity in general...

Fir me its positive //thump up,

Im more worried in oposithe things for example there are medium AAA games that are very pure marketing way hyped and other much better titles that are just underhyped - for example one of my favourite games is "Overlord II" i am constantly wondered that such fine game is so weak famous (this game is visually and by sound a dream) though maybe it is a bit to easy (i got only the demo ad watching later stages on youtube) so i am not sure what comes in gameplay later but it is realy strange for me that very good games come moderately not noticed (or at least not to the degree they should) to a very wide public

the overall hype gets me a bit worried about humanity in general...

That's a demonstration of the old wisdom that intelligence is inversely proportional to the size of a crowd. Internet platforms make big crowds easy.

I don't recall the name now and can't link to the source, but not too long ago (less than a year ago?) some socio-psycho scientist (yes I know, these are rather pseudo sciences, but let's assume for a moment they really understand how the psyche works) wrote about a similar observation on facebook. His (not very revolutionary) idea was basically that if only enough people click "like" on whatever it is, you totally shut down your brain in favor of conformity and also like whatever it is. It doesn't matter whether whatever-it-is actually doesn't appeal to you at all, and it doesn't matter that those people are totally unknown, random strangers (whose opinion really shouldn't matter for you). The take-home message picked up by the yellow press was that facebook turns your children into mindless creatures (which maybe isn't even wrong).

A more practical demonstration ("don't try that at home") of that crowd effect is whispering "We are all going to die" in an airplane when there are some moderate turbulences. In a group of 3 or 4, the others would tell you to cut the crap. You've obviously got no idea of what travelling in an airplane is like. However, in a group of 200, you're practically guaranteed to start a panic within seconds.

Advertisement

the overall hype gets me a bit worried about humanity in general...

That's a demonstration of the old wisdom that intelligence is inversely proportional to the size of a crowd. Internet platforms make big crowds easy.

I don't recall the name now and can't link to the source, but not too long ago (less than a year ago?) some socio-psycho scientist (yes I know, these are rather pseudo sciences, but let's assume for a moment they really understand how the psyche works) wrote about a similar observation on facebook. His (not very revolutionary) idea was basically that if only enough people click "like" on whatever it is, you totally shut down your brain in favor of conformity and also like whatever it is. It doesn't matter whether whatever-it-is actually doesn't appeal to you at all, and it doesn't matter that those people are totally unknown, random strangers (whose opinion really shouldn't matter for you). The take-home message picked up by the yellow press was that facebook turns your children into mindless creatures (which maybe isn't even wrong).

A more practical demonstration ("don't try that at home") of that crowd effect is whispering "We are all going to die" in an airplane when there are some moderate turbulences. In a group of 3 or 4, the others would tell you to cut the crap. You've obviously got no idea of what travelling in an airplane is like. However, in a group of 200, you're practically guaranteed to start a panic within seconds.

haha thats good (both points)

this is true and maybe it is because in some way things can be

interesting or cool by sugestion (it is walso a thing of sport events

transmission, ski jumping or football transmissions is the one of most boring thing for me but in the suggestion hysteria things presents quite different and you are even excited)

I will just leave this here:

http://flapmmo.com/

PS: Sorry for ruining your guys lifes rolleyes.gif

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

High Score of 8!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I will just leave this here:

http://flapmmo.com/

PS: Sorry for ruining your guys lifes rolleyes.gif

Oh my god laugh.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement