Advertisement

Can one write a technical book about little, trivial things?

Started by November 26, 2013 08:50 AM
2 comments, last by FableFox 10 years, 9 months ago

We're coming into winter, and a cold front is bringing in cold air and humidity into the north-western Taiwan region. Most of the winter is either raining a light drizzle, or just too cold to do anything. Anything that felt like 15 degrees Celcius (59F) may feel like it's 10 degrees Celcius (50F), and we're like 11 to 13 Celcius on average.

So, most of the time is wasted by playing on our smartphones and scything the grass around our boot camp's perimeter. I have thought about writing a book or a long article about little things, especially from my field of expertise (which I doubt I have one, coming from my major).

Can one write a technical book about little stuffs, and be successful (as in garnering unexpected view counts)? I'm good at expanding short descriptions into full papers (or just adept at bloating up stuffs).

Or I'm just making a goal that's too high to reach and impossible to do?

The answer (as always) is "it depends"

• on what you mean by little stuffs
  • on how good your advice is on little stuffs
  • on how well you write

Scott Meyers has made a career out of writing about "little stuffs" in C++, because his books are very useful.

So it's definitely possible.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

Perhaps you should try and find out.

Nothing is stopping you from starting a blog and writing about things. You can use that to see for yourself how successful you might be with larger and more involved articles/tasks.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Only if that little stuff have large followers.

You can make more money from 'technical little stuff' on personal finance than on 'campervan/class b technical simple stuff maintainance'.

But I guess that is the rules of the number. BTW, i'm into class b motorhome now. I plan to buy one and travel all over US one day.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement